Author Topic: LinkStation Duo drive replacement - important questions!  (Read 1772 times)

avizulis

• Calf
LinkStation Duo drive replacement - important questions!
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
I have a LinkStation Duo configured as Raid1 which has been working great for a year or so.  I recently updated the firmware to 1.68.  At the end of the process, I had a blinking red (Error 30) informing me that Drive 2 was out of commission.  Presumably there was a drive failure (though I'm not totally confident that this is true).  Drive 1 works fine and is accessible.

Question 1: Should I now do a "Check array" so that the Drive 2 problems might get fixed?  Any chance that data on Drive 1 might be lost in this process?  Or should I just believe that Drive 2 is bad and get another one?

Question 2: The LinkStation Duo Hard Drive Replacement Procedure says that replacement drives are available from buffalotech.com.  However, this is not true.  Buffalo gives no guidance either.  My drives are Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB, ST31000528AS.  Do I need to replace the drive with exactly this model, or can I put something else in that has 1TB capacity?  What's critical here?

Question 3: Do drives sold in the market always have a cover over the mechanism?  I know this sounds like a stupid question, but "bare drives" seem to be shown in the store images as if they had no cover.  Are they in fact always sealed?

Thanks in advance for anyone's answers .... Buffalo Support, can you weigh in here please?