Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H Post 20025 Firmware Solution  (Read 162622 times)

crammed

• Calf
Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H Post 20025 Firmware Solution
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »
It really isnt that hard - once you've got the USB to serial dongle at the ready. All information is spread about in the only tutorial you should follow (the one with the images.. :) ) and this thread.

Thanks. I may take a stab at it when I have a chance. It was probably time for a new router anyway.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2015, 04:13:17 AM »

r27332 is still below 26MB and therefore works.

The last release still below 26MB is r27343 and it still works.

The first release above 26MB is r27360 and sure enough it bricks the router (rev0, european, G450H)

Many thanks, i think we can now consider the 26MB limit to firmware on the Rev0 G450H i'll update the FP accordingly

FOR ALL IN THIS THREAD:
PLEASE CONSIDER r27240 AS THE LAST FULLY TESTED VERSION FOR THE Rev0 G450H

THERE WILL BE NO MORE RELEASES FOR Rev0 PCBs AS THE >26MB BARRIER CONFIRMED BY HARLEKIN PREVENTS UPDATES

DO NOT UPDATE Rev0 G450H's to higher than r27240 - You WILL brick your router!

r2724x through r27343 do not add anything new and have not been tested thoroughly.

I will now continue support for only Rev1 (and higher if they exist) G450H routers!

Currently the highest tested release for Rev1 is r27805 (Despite newer releases available)

I will update the Rev1 releases once i have got them working on all three of my routers from all three regions.

Edit2:
FOR ALL IN THIS THREAD:
IT APPEARS THAT THE FIRMWARE SIZE LIMIT NOW APPLIES TO Rev1 G450H's, only slightly higher at 27MB~
I CAN NO LONGER UPDATE TO FIRMWARES >27805, THEREFORE r27805 WILL REMAIN THE LAST FULLY TESTED REVISION FOR Rev1 G450H's

DO NOT UPDATE Rev1 G450H's to higher than r27805 - You WILL brick your router!

Unless something drastically changes in file sizes i think we can say this is the end of the road for G450H DD-WRT firmware. I will update the FP accordingly.
I will also maintain my thread for the 1750DHP.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:18:57 AM by JacobD84 »

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
It really isnt that hard - once you've got the USB to serial dongle at the ready. All information is spread about in the only tutorial you should follow (the one with the images.. :) ) and this thread.
Thanks. I may take a stab at it when I have a chance. It was probably time for a new router anyway.

I finally got around to opening up my case to check the PCB version. It's Rev0, which explains why it bricked when I tried upgrading to r27805.

So, now my question is whether there is any way to unbrick the router without the serial dongle (i.e. through Ethernet or USB)? If I need to spend a couple of bucks, I will. But, after looking at some of the tutorials, I'm still not sure I know what I am doing. Anyway, I guess the worst I can do is destroy a device that already isn't working.

If it makes a difference, when the router is powered up (plugged in), the power, security, and diag LEDs light up. Then all of the LEDs. Then, just power and diag remain on.

Thanks.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
I finally got around to opening up my case to check the PCB version. It's Rev0, which explains why it bricked when I tried upgrading to r27805.

So, now my question is whether there is any way to unbrick the router without the serial dongle (i.e. through Ethernet or USB)? If I need to spend a couple of bucks, I will. But, after looking at some of the tutorials, I'm still not sure I know what I am doing. Anyway, I guess the worst I can do is destroy a device that already isn't working.

If it makes a difference, when the router is powered up (plugged in), the power, security, and diag LEDs light up. Then all of the LEDs. Then, just power and diag remain on.

Sadly the serial cable route is the only viable option.

The light sequence you describe is normal for a bricked router, the red diag light simply informs you that it is awaiting firmware via the serial port (I.E. existing firmware corrupt or wiped)

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »
So, now my question is whether there is any way to unbrick the router without the serial dongle (i.e. through Ethernet or USB)?

Sadly the serial cable route is the only viable option.

Thanks. I just ordered the parts. I sure hope that I can figure the other steps out.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2015, 07:05:55 AM »
Thanks. I just ordered the parts. I sure hope that I can figure the other steps out.

No problem, sadly the steps are the best way i could explain it, the only thing i can add is that if you have any issues communicating, try a machine with Windows XP installed (or create a dual boot system) some Windows 7/8 Users have issues with the software, Windows 10 i can imagine would only be worse with some of the localhost changes (which is why i reverted to Win7 x64)...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:08:41 AM by JacobD84 »

bard

• Calf
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
Any tips on what to do when you don't get a console prompt?  I've used JTAG on multiple devices without issue.  This wzr-hp-g450h rev0 is the first one where I get nothing on the console.

bard

• Calf
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
Is there any chance the serial settings could be anything other than 115200,8,N,1?  I seem to get some gibberish on the screen after a period of time, but haven't been able to guess the serial settings.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:10 AM »
Is there any chance the serial settings could be anything other than 115200,8,N,1?  I seem to get some gibberish on the screen after a period of time, but haven't been able to guess the serial settings.

115200 is very high, i generally use the lower values; try ~9600, much slower but far more stable...

Standard baud rates supported by most serial ports:

Standard baud rates supported by some serial ports:

bard

• Calf
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
I was mistaken, it was electrical noise due to the fact that I didn't solder the header to the serial port.  Once that was done, the serial port is silent.

Is there any other method of clearing flash via jumpers on boot?  Otherwise, all I have now is a nice 4 port ethernet switch. :)

rkmfl

• Calf
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
@JacobD84
Thank you so much for all of this work.  I purchased this router specifically because I read through this post and it seemed like you did the best job of fleshing-out any issues for a router that has an easy upgrade path (and because my only concerns are range, not speed, and I don't need AC).

Unfortunately I received the "WZR-450HP2D" model, despite ordering the "WZR-HP-G450H" (based on the title of this thread).  I don't know why the vendor thought the two were interchangeable, but I'm going to have to return the unit because after further research, I cannot use this model with your firmware, despite the two looking identical physically (yet upon more inspection it uses a newer chipset).

Despite that issue, I've consolidated the information in this thread, in the event it helps others:

This is making the assumption the user is coming from a factory install (as I am):
  • Make sure G450H is running Factory v20025 (one poster reported problems when coming from a different factor image)
  • Disconnect router from Internet prior to updating
  • When installing for first time (coming from the stock firmware) use the "Factory-to-DDWRT.bin" version.
    ...Once the "Factory-to-DDWRT" version is installed, the next version can be the normal download (*webupgrade_MULTI.bin)
  • DO NOT change the name of the firmware when saving, make sure to update using the same name as shown on FTP site.
  • Upload from a computer with a STATIC IP, using a browser with IN-PRIVATE browsing enabled (no add-on's)
  • Disable any anti-virus/firewall software on the system used to upload firmware
  • Use the built-in Firmware Upgrade Dialog (more complex option is using Telnet/TFTP if comfortable)
    NOTE: New versions have sleeker UI and extra channel frequencies but run a little heavier.
       Better to use version r23919 or r24461 unless there is a specific reason you need a feature from a newer version.
       The final/last version for Rev-0 boards is: r27240
  • When upgrading, always choose to RESET SETTINGS after flashing update:
       Administration > Dropdown menu under the firmware upgrade tab "After flashing, reset to..."

Something I learned on my own after testing:
Determine the PCB revision, open the unit using a TORX T10 screwdriver.  This is a good screwdriver to keep around for service on HDD drives as well.  If you don't have a T10, you can use a 3/32" flat-head, although it will be more difficult.

Thank you in advance for your help on clarifying the part numbers!
RKM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:58:41 PM by rkmfl »

sidorvm

• Calf
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2017, 04:21:03 AM »
In the ubootenv list I have variable hw_rev=0. Seems like this is PCB revision. Can anyone confirm if this is the case.
For those who can't update their Japanese router WZR-450HP here is how I finally did it after few days of f.cking mu brain.

log in to debug menu http://192.168.11.1/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html with ID and password bufpy:otdpopypassword.
If these credentials doesn't work, you might have latest firmware. Download older one from official Japanese web site and downgrade first.
Then login to standard menu and go to firmware page.
Standard web page for update doesn't work, but you will see link to a debug firmware update page.
192.168.11.1/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/firmup.html

And there you can do it with no issues! I used this image for the first update and it worked great.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/buffalo_wzr_hp_g450h/wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin

Don't forget to set variables as below before flashing.
accept_open_rt_fmt=1
region=US

Jacobi

• Calf
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »
I also purchased the WZR-HP-G450H 5 years ago, DD-WRT was preinstalled and so far I've been very content with the device. However, since November 2017 I had to deactivate dnsmasq as much as possible due to VU#973527. Now I saw the freshly uploaded Firmware build 30357 on the Buffalo FTP server, including the comment on the fix for the dnsmasq vulnerability.
I performed a Firmware-Upgrade last week and pressed on the "proceed" button of the Web-Page that stated that the Firmware-Upgrade on my router completed successfully.
However, eversince it is very difficult to make the router start. I mostly see the "DIAG'-LED being alight constantly. After about 10-20 power cycles, sometimes waiting hours between power-cycles the router booted and I was able to access the Web-Server on the usual IP.
But the new firmware is not as stable as the previous one, and services are dropped after some time. For example I used the Free-Radius daemon on the router, but that daemon consumed always 100% PU time and my wireless devices were not able to log in any more.
And later, I saw messages like this in /var/log/messages:

[...]
May 10 17:37:24 DD-WRT kern.err kernel: [173392.040000] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block e0bb6c, size b167
May 10 17:37:24 DD-WRT kern.err kernel: [173392.180000] SQUASHFS error: lzma returned unexpected result 0x1
May 10 17:37:24 DD-WRT kern.err kernel: [173392.180000] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache block [d747e2]
May 10 17:37:24 DD-WRT kern.err kernel: [173392.190000] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block d747e2, size b2d6
May 10 17:37:24 DD-WRT kern.err kernel: [173392.210000] SQUASHFS error: lzma returned unexpected result 0x1
[...]

There are tons of those lines, and after some time the radius daemon didn't start any more at all:

root@DD-WRT:~# radiusd --help
Error loading shared library libltdl.so.3: Exec format error (needed by /usr/sbin/radiusd)
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlsym: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlsetsearchpath: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlexit: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlinit: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlpreload_default: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlerror: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlopenext: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/radiusd: lt_dlclose: symbol not found

Even the Web-Service is down now and won't come up any more:

root@DD-WRT:~# httpd --help
Error loading shared library libjansson.so.4: Exec format error (needed by /usr/sbin/httpd)
Error loading shared library libnl-tiny.so: Exec format error (needed by /usr/sbin/httpd)
Error loading shared library libjansson.so.4: Exec format error (needed by /usr/lib/libutils.so)
Error loading shared library libjansson.so.4: Exec format error (needed by /usr/lib/libwireless.so)
Error loading shared library libnl-tiny.so: Exec format error (needed by /usr/lib/libwireless.so)
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_string_value: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_array_size: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_array_get: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_array_clear: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_integer_value: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_loads: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_object_iter_next: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_object_iter_key: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_object_iter_value: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_object_iter: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libutils.so: json_dumps: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_msg: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_unsubscribe: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nla_ok: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: genlmsg_attrdata: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_subscribe: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nlmsg_free: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: genlmsg_attrlen: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_request: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nla_next: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_loop: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_init: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nla_find: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nla_put: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: nla_parse: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_nl80211_wdev_to_phy: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libwireless.so: unl_genl_request_single: symbol not found

I've seen you mentioned that "magic barrier" of 26 MiB for a maximum size for a Firmware to apply on the WZR-HP-G450H. But
the curent build as downloaded from the Buffalo FTP-Server is below that barrier:

25M     Downloads/wzrhpg450h-pro-r30357/wzrhpg450h-pro-r30357.enc

Is someone else here in the Forum who "collected" some experience with this Firmware-Level on the WZR-HP-G450H? And is there a way to get to the boot-console of the router without the need to open the case and looking for the RX/TX connectors for a serial line (I'd like to know why I needed so many boot attempts)?

Jacobi

• Calf
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2018, 09:03:24 AM »
Actually, I'd still prefer a "20025e" (with just the VU#973527 fix for dnsmasq and the fix for "krack") build over the latestgreatestnewest DD-WRT for the WZR-HP-G450H, as the 20025 was perfect regarding the feature set and with less than 15 MiB was more adequate in size as the current 30357 which seems to be hard to the limit. I have the suspicion that the SQUASHFS error messages point to the fact that the running system "needs room" and the router is not able to provide it any more due to the "close match".
Is it still possible to apply fixes to the 20025 level of the DD-WRT firmware?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:05:08 AM by Jacobi »

irineusjc

• Calf
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2018, 06:38:19 PM »
Can someone share hex file of both chips (25Q128BVFG) ? My WZR-HP-G450H is completly dead ! Board Rev: 0. U-boot is gone !!!