Author Topic: Cloudstor Pro - New Drives  (Read 7298 times)

gahan

• Calf
Cloudstor Pro - New Drives
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
Have a Cloudstor Pro
Model CS-WV2.0/1D
Firmware 2.35

Had to replace both drives.

I read the 3 of 5 FAQ and want to ensure I have correct TFTP file to use and try to get it working again.

I downloaded TFTP Boot Recovery 1.53.rar and was ready to pull the trigger until I got cold feet.  When I went to the TFTP folder, I saw a new file for the CS-WX that had a creation date of Aug 25 and it was the only one that looked like it was for a Cloudstor.  That's the older 800 Mhz model, I think.

I hava already sent three emails to Buffalo with no response to the problems I have had.  The call today was met with a , "Sorry, but we cannot help with that."  Must be a corporate liability issue.  The call before that, about two weeks ago, got me a "sounds like the unit is bad" response.  It' out of warranty, get a different machine.  I received this unit in Jan of 2013 due to problems with my original purchase in June of 2012.  Have never had much uptime on it, but not surprised, I guess.  Anyway, enough whining.

Can someone confirm the correct TFTP file I should use to attempt to get the unit to format the drive and allow me to use it?

Thanks for any help.

gahan

• Calf
Re: Cloudstor Pro - New Drives
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
A little more digging and I see that I should be using the same file that would be used on a Linkstation Pro Duo.  That files is listed in the links to the tftp files, but it has files that are older than the 1.35.rar that I saw earlier.  However, according to the readme file it is version 1.4 beta with reference to ver 1.31.  It appears to have the same reademt.txt file as the other one.  Same file date. 

Which should I use?

Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:34 AM »
Use the below link for the correct TFTP image for your device:

https://mega.co.nz/#!XB8zkSJT!NWve1yUTmPHiHpf_pGTrdzXM1rUwrdZe_aHA758XZqs
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:48 AM »
Thank you.  I'll download and use tonight.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:47:27 AM by gahan »

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
No love.  TFTP program loads and is listening on both IP addresses and looks good.  Unit has flashing blue light, but never seems to write to disk.  Tried pressing function button and two blue lights start flashing - I assume looking for a drive in either or both bays and then will drop to red with a network conection lost message popping up.

Should I just leave it listening and blue light flashing to see if it will connect?  Can try that tomorrow night.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
Post the output of the TFTP screen. I'm assuming you have tried this on more than one PC with all AV and firewalls disabled?
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »
Hi Davo, don't you ever sleep?

Tried it on an old Dell running XP pro regular and in safe mode.  The network connection notification came up and said it was connected when it should have been.

I've got another PC that I can try with tonight.  It's running Win7.

Reseated drive thinking maybe a connection issue, but it was ok.

If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.  I'll post back after a few tries or success.

Thanks.

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »
Moving on to new PC is delayed - wife has to use hers and won't sub in mine...
Here's the info in the TFTP field, connection good at 100, blue light flashing +25 minutes
Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\Documents and Settings\Gibson\Desktop\CloudstorProRESET\
TFTP Boot Recovery CS-WVL\
listening On: 192.168.11.1:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..

Doesn't seem to be talking.  Packets are being sent, but nothing received - from the connection status.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:47:29 PM by gahan »

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
Good news -
I used a different PC, running Win7 Home Premium and have been able to get the Cloudstor recognized, formatted, firmware updated and it is now "waiting for the finish of the Linkstation booting."  Hopefully that will go well, but there is the red light blinking 6 times, but the progress bar is still advancing at the same slow rate.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Couple of questions.  When the drive was found and the formatting and firmware update took place, the empty second bay had a red light on.  I'm hoping it was just indicating that it did not find a drive in the bay and will have no effect on the final result?

I started off with the PC in a static IP of 192.168.11.1/255.255.255.0
Held in the function button and turned the unit on and released the function button after about 5 secs.
The blue light flashed quickly, fan kicked in and the two blue lights flashed until it turned red
I pressed the function button and the light went blue and the blocks were read
Waited and checked the data transfer rate.  When there was no more activity, I started the NAS Navigator which found the unit and showed a different IP address of 169.254.67.30.  I modified the lsupdater file according to the directions in the 2of5 post in this forum.  When I tried to connect, the drive was not found.  I changed the PC IP address so that it fell in the same IP range and tried again. The updater found the NAS and began formatting the drive.  Once the formatting completed the firmware update took place.  The empty bay had a red light in it. It has been rebooting the NAS for 15 minutes, progressing slowly and there has been a red flashing light blinking 6 times.  Hopefully still complaining about the empty bay.

LSUPDATER has an error saying that it has waited 1200 seconds and not received a response.  I will run Nas Navigator and see if the IP address has changed and make any changes.

Bad news.  Cannot find NAS with Nas Navi or LS updater.  Tried both ip addresses and nothing.  Red light is flashing 6 times.  Back to beginning?

Is it dead?

Thanks.

looun

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:59 AM »

LSUPDATER has an error saying that it has waited 1200 seconds and not received a response.  I will run Nas Navigator and see if the IP address has changed and make any changes.

Bad news.  Cannot find NAS with Nas Navi or LS updater.  Tried both ip addresses and nothing.  Red light is flashing 6 times.  Back to beginning?

Is it dead?

Thanks.

after hours of trying, I got the same problem! with cloudstation Duo Please HELP!

Use the below link for the correct TFTP image for your device:

https://mega.co.nz/#!XB8zkSJT!NWve1yUTmPHiHpf_pGTrdzXM1rUwrdZe_aHA758XZqs

it's good enough for  cloudstation Duo ( not pro ) ? i have used "TFTP Boot CS-WX 1.01"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:05:55 AM by looun »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Good news -
I used a different PC, running Win7 Home Premium and have been able to get the Cloudstor recognized, formatted, firmware updated and it is now "waiting for the finish of the Linkstation booting."  Hopefully that will go well, but there is the red light blinking 6 times, but the progress bar is still advancing at the same slow rate.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Couple of questions.  When the drive was found and the formatting and firmware update took place, the empty second bay had a red light on.  I'm hoping it was just indicating that it did not find a drive in the bay and will have no effect on the final result?

Held in the function button and turned the unit on and released the function button after about 5 secs.
The blue light flashed quickly, fan kicked in and the two blue lights flashed until it turned red
Waited and checked the data transfer rate.  When there was no more activity, I started the NAS Navigator which found the unit and showed a different IP address of 169.254.67.30.  I modified the lsupdater file according to the directions in the 2of5 post in this forum.  When I tried to connect, the drive was not found.  I changed the PC IP address so that it fell in the same IP range and tried again. The updater found the NAS and began formatting the drive.  Once the formatting completed the firmware update took place.  The empty bay had a red light in it. It has been rebooting the NAS for 15 minutes, progressing slowly and there has been a red flashing light blinking 6 times.  Hopefully still complaining about the empty bay.

Is it dead?

Thanks.

Go through the TFTP process again, once the blocks are passed it might go straight for I25 (firmware updating). If not and it goes into EM Mode then connect the CS back to the network (without rebooting it!), connect the PC back to the same network, let both of them obtain a DHCP address and then do the firmware update.

looun

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
Good news -

Is it dead?

Thanks.

try this:
clean hd: delete all partition

first boot:
- PC to static IP of 192.168.11.1/255.255.255.0
- Power on nos
- Pressed the function button and the light went blue and the blocks were read
- Run TFTP program loads (after data transfer rate NOT CLOSE dos windows!)
- Changes in PC ip 169.254 ... , located with the NAS Navigator

sets ini file updater

no formatting = 0
[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

- FLASH firmware now with all check
format ....
transfer ....
flash ...
reboot ...
NOT CLOSE windows update

NAS Rebbot to the red LED err 06

NOT POWER OFF nas!!!

now

second boot:
- Sect still PC to static IP of 192.168.11.1/255.255.255.0
- Pressed the function button and the light went blue and the blocks were read
- TFTP program loads the block again

but ...

wait ..

the yellow LED flashes (I25 - updating firmware) and the system is installed!

wait ..

at the end
the blue LED is fixed
yellow flashes (I53 - can not communicate with cloud service)

nas turn off with back switch

close TFTP windows and update windows

disconnect the nas from PC and connect to the internet

turn switch on  ...... NAS IS READY!

or .. work for me!

in practice the nas requires that the TFTP open (and pc ip 192.168.11.1) to boot and update the firmware

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:26:51 AM »
Didn't have as much time to work on this last night, but did get the blocks recognized and passed then when I tried to do the firmware update, the IP address started changing from the 192.168.11.1 to a 169.254.73.240 according to the lsupdater.  It could not communicate with the PC at that point.  I ran NAS Navi and it found the NAS and offered to change the IP address, which I let it do, back to the 192.168.11.150 address and it looked like the firmware was transferring and writing, but I couldn't tell for sure  because it would switch back to the APIPA range of IP near the end of the transfer and fail.  One of the messages that I saw in NAS Navi was that it couldn't find the second drive.  I had it in a RAID 1 mode, but would like to go to JBOD.  I put a second HDD in just to stop the red light of an empty bay.

It is currently flashing blue and is plugged into my router for dhcp.  I left it on overnight hoping I would see it from this PC this morning, but, no luck.

Any suggestions from this info?  I will try to grab more specifics this weekend and post them.

Thanks again for hanging with me on this process.  I guess Buffalo did not anticipate anyone keeping their device long enough for this to happen.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:33:12 PM by gahan »

gahan

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Tried both suggestions. 
Davo, switched to regular network and NAS was found with a valid IP address on the network, but updater could not find a linkstation to update.

Looun, after TFTP program sent blocks and updater showed IP for NAS at 169.254.28.124.  Tried running LSupdater and it cannot find locate NAS.  Updater still shows ip address at 169.254.28.124.  Tried changing PC address to same IP range to do firmware, but that resulted in not finding the NAS.  Tried plugging in regular network cable and NAS pulled correct IP range address.  Tried updating, but updater could not find device to update.

Have modified lsupdate.ini file to add version check and no formatting=0 and [SpecialFlags] debug=1

Tried changing NAS IP address using Nas Nav from TFTP folder and get message that IP changed and then denied because I have the incorrect password.  Tried "password" and old unit password and it still failed.

Right now, blue light is steady and Buffalo NAS Navigator (1.20) shows 169.254.28.124, can't change it.  NIC on PC is set to 192.168.11.1.
My wireless is disabled, AV and firewall turned off.  Any ideas?

Should mention that I never get an options page for the firmware updater.  Using file cloudstor-firmware-build-1.13-2.35.zip

Thanks. 

UPDATE:
Went ahead and changed PC IP address to 169.254.28.123 and started the updater.  Got message that couldn't confirm partitions. Said ok to format.  Seems to format and then begin transferring firmware.  Several files seem to move.  Transfer of firmware completes, writing pauses and then it finishes.  Message Linkstation has been rebooted.  At this point get red error 6 flashes.  Updater ver 1.13 shows "Waiting for finish of linkstation booting.  Still flashing 6 red.  Updater showing message, waited for 1200 seconds but had no response from linkstation.  want to wait again?  I'll say yes, but suspect I need to change PC IP? Still flashing 6 red.  Will stop here for a while in case someone can help.

Update: 9/24/13  11:41 pm
Re-read 2of5 and realized I had to right click on the upper border , select debug and I got the menu options for the updater.  Set them as described, but it seems that the device switches IP addresses at random.  I can get the updater to see the NAS when it has an ip in the 169.254.. range, but when I try to do the update itself, the device cannot be found.  Light usually stays blue at this point, but NAS Navi shows device in EM mode.  Should I just plug in the regular network cable and let it get an IP address from the router and then try the updater with a dhcp ip address?

Update 9/25/13
Changed NAS ip to my regular network and plugged it in.  Started PC on regular network and disabled AV,firewall and windows firewall.  Ran TFTP and blocks loaded.  Ran lsupdater 1.13 with modified .ini file.  Went through formatting and firmware updates and rebooted NAS.  While waiting for it to come up, with red light flashing 6 times, it eventually timed out.  Cannot find NAS.  Blue light flashing on NAS.  Re-booted NAS - had to remove power cord.  Came back up with 169.x.x.x ip.  Called buffalo tech support and they walked me back through procedures 2X.  Got Tier 3 on phone and he confirmed actions and said that they had nothing else to offer.

Wasting too much of my time, and your, at this point to go any further.  Expensive lesson to learn in terms of time and $$ outlay.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:08:50 AM by gahan »