Author Topic: drivenav crash during reformat  (Read 4628 times)

snowman910

• Calf
drivenav crash during reformat
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
Antivirus software killed an autorun.inf during DriveNav.exe reformat of brand spanking new HD-LBU3  (model on the box) or HD-LB4,    OTU3-US   (model on the drive) 4T  external hard drive
on my PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.87 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

running XP SP3.  This is not my only Buffalo drive, but it is the only one that is presently connected to the PC.  The other drive works like it enjoys it. 

When I first connected the drive following the pictoral instructions to the letter, the drive could be seen, and folders or files opened, from Windows Explorer.  After loading DriveNav.exe, the antivirus software intervened, and the reformatting initialized by DriveNav.exe was interrupted.  Now the drive is no longer Recognized by Windows Explorer but it still shows up, as generic Buffalo ("BUFFALO External HDD USB Device"), in Device Manager, and is "working properly," and that is the end of the road for help from Microsoft.  The drive spins up and lights for USB2 connectivity, which is the best this PC has to offer.

I think there must be a way to communicate with this drive. 

Did not intend to post this in "solved," not sure how that happened or how to correct, but this is not solved yet.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:34:13 PM by snowman910 »

snowman910

• Calf
Re: drivenav crash during reformat
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
this is still not solved, any help would be appreciated.

snowman910

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
still not solved, any help would be appreciated.  If this is a situation for which there is known to be no solution, that information would be a big help. 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
Delete and recreated the partition in disk management.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

snowman910

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
Thank you very much for this response.  How does one do this when the drive is not visible in My Computer or in Disk Management? The drive still shows up in Device Manager, as "BUFFALO External HDD USB Device" in Device Manager, and from Device Manager/Properties, and Device status is "The device is working properly."

snowman910

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
this problem remains unsolved, any help would be appreciated.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
If it doesn't appear in disk management from multiple PCs using different USB cables then the HDD is faulty.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

snowman910

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
Thank you for this response. 

Yesterday I succeeded in getting another computer (DEll Inspiron 15R,
2nd generation Intel Core i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz,   
6GB,DDR3,2 DIMM, running Windows 7) and was able to format the drive.  The result is Disk Management on that i5 is showing the drive as 2048.00 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) and 1678.02 GB Unallocated.  When the drive is brought back to the PC described in my original post, it is not visible in My Computer or in Disk Management, but remains visible as generic Buffalo ("BUFFALO External HDD USB Device"), in Device Manager, and is "working properly," according to Device Manager. 

So, there are now two questions: 1)  what can be done to make the PC for which this was purchased (described in my original post) see the drive in My Computer and in Disk Management; and 2) what can I do to make the Unallocated drive space available for use (Extend is not an available option - when the drive first was detected on the i5 machine, it was only 465 GB, and Extend was an available option, and that is how I got it from 465 GB to 2048.00 GB)?