Author Topic: Persisting problems and feature suggestions regarding LinkStation Live with BitTorrent (LS-CH*L)  (Read 42845 times)

MePHiSTo

• Calf

I have at this point sent about 5 tickets to Buffalo support, each one have been ignored, except for the one reply that refered me to go to the KB section of Buffalotech sites... early december.. yeah right! I have since sent them questions asking about the European firmware.. silence is the word.

Has anyone else noticed any lagging in the mediaserver feature of the device. 

Everytime I start playback of a movie on either my ps3 or the computer from the mediaserver the picture will start lagging after about 10 minutes of playback. It only takes a couple of seconds for it to recpoup but then after another 10 minutes it occurs again.. this goes on for the whole movie/episode. I've tried to kill off all other network equipment without any effect to the plaback.

Also another feature I'd wish to add to the torrent client would be remote adding of torrents to the queue, for example from my friends house or from work.  To my knowledge this is only available through local network.

Qnap Nas devices have this feature built-in... as should buffalos also!! (take a hint admin!!)

Then for another feature that needs work, the power save mode. If I wish to leave the torrent loading for the night I have to leave my computer running too, cause if I shut it down the Nas will shutdown also. There should thus be an option to shutdown the Nas only if there is no activity.. or shutdown when all torrents are ready..

At this point (having the device for 2 months) I must say I'm mostly dissatisfied with my purchase. The support for the device has been non-existant, the fan is noisier than promised, media playback is laggy, network transfers for small as well as large items is slow (even with GB-lan), torrent client is still in beta testing, the fs doesn't support large files (over 30GB) and did I mention the support was non-existant?!? (another one, admin!!)

If these issues are fixed with the next FW I will consider keeping the device ;)

-Fist-o_0-

minnemike

• Calf
   I also just completed the update (US version) and it worked for the Torrent folder delete issue like a charm. And yes, the update did take quite a while (mostly the reboot portion). Haven't tried anything else yet.

Topolaccio

• Calf

Also another feature I'd wish to add to the torrent client would be remote adding of torrents to the queue, for example from my friends house or from work.  To my knowledge this is only available through local network.

Qnap Nas devices have this feature built-in... as should buffalos also!! (take a hint admin!!)

Adding a Torrent from outside the LAN is already possible and very easy. I usually upload torrents form my office and when I came home they're already finished.

To enable remote control you have to open the port 8080 of your router and forward it to your LinkStation IP (use the IP reservation feature of you router).

Then you have to log to your LinkStation via WebAccess and connect to the port 8080 (you just have to type in your browser address bar http://xxx.xx.xx.xx:8080 where xxx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of your router).

Message Edited by Topolaccio on 01-15-2009 07:45 AM
Message Edited by Topolaccio on 01-15-2009 07:46 AM

andyblake

• Calf
   As i'm sure you are aware if you do that anyone on the internet can delete/stop/start any of your torrents  - I'd enable ssh and ssh tunnel the ports for 80,8080 and 9000 through - it's more secure.

Topolaccio

• Calf

andyblake wrote:
As i'm sure you are aware if you do that anyone on the internet can delete/stop/start any of your torrents  - I'd enable ssh and ssh tunnel the ports for 80,8080 and 9000 through - it's more secure.

I thought that I was password protected, like the WebAccess login. But now I discovered that accessing to http://xxx.xx.xx.xx:9000 is password protected, while http://xxx.xx.xx.xx:8080 is totally free! So if someone knows my router IP (that is fortunately dynamic), he can freely control my BT client!

I know I can enable the IP restriction politics on my router, allowing access to the port 8080 only from a single IP or from a specified IP range. For example I can allow incoming connection to the port 8080 only from my office static IP address. That could be a temporary solution.

However I think that the SSH tunnelling is the best solution, as you said. The problem is that I've never done things like that and I don't even know how to start! I've done reserch in Google and Wikipedia but I'm more confused then before... Can you help me some way?

Thank you very much.

Message Edited by Topolaccio on 01-15-2009 04:14 PM

shaun

• Calf

I'm using the newest firmware for OS X and am still having file permission issues. How am I mean to delete folders without using web access - a very time consuming process? I've connected via FTP and tried that way to no avail.

This is becoming increasingly frustrating as I use more and more space. 

The Bittorent 'seed until' settings always seem to reset themselves as well. 

SilverFoX

• Tatanka

shaun wrote:

I'm using the newest firmware for OS X and am still having file permission issues. How am I mean to delete folders without using web access - a very time consuming process? I've connected via FTP and tried that way to no avail.

This is becoming increasingly frustrating as I use more and more space. 

The Bittorent 'seed until' settings always seem to reset themselves as well. 

hi there,

the prob is that the mac version hasnīt been updated until now - ridiculous that there is still no changelog, european verion etc btw .......

only the north american windows version has been updated and works at least with the permission issue....

regards,

SilverFoX

SilverFoX

• Tatanka
Re: Persisting problems regarding LinkStation Live with BitTorrent (LS-CH*L)
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »

Paul wrote:

I will try to get an update on the release date and post it.  

just went thropugh the thread again....thx for not posting trhe update -.-''

pls donīt promise things which you wonīt do.....

any update about the private tracker fix and the release date of the european firmware and could you really post in here this time?

regards,

SilverFoX

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 05:00:21 AM »

I've installed the 1.06 firmware, which was avaiable last Saturday.

I can confrim that the write protection issue has been fixed. It seems that even the torrents stop seeding issue has been fixed.

There's still no support for private trackers, but I don't know if this is a BT client limitation, or if it's because the tracker accepts connection only by a limited number of clients (like uTorrent, Trasmission, but NON the LinkStation BT client).

shaun

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 05:17:29 AM »
   Does anyone know if I install the Windows-realease-only Firmware will I still be able to access and perform normal operations with OS X?

Jocke72

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »

The firmware on the linkstation doesn't care what OS is accessing it.

I use a mixed environment of MAC, Win and Linux to access the drive and it works fine with the latest release.

/J

SilverFoX

• Tatanka
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
   same here - using windows, linux and mac os x 10.4.11 - works with out probs :)

fbp

• Calf

hi,

any news of 1.06 firmware improvments ?

any modifications on this really good list ?

regards

SilverFoX

• Tatanka

hi there,

at least the european firmware 1.06 is available....still without changelog!!!

as stated before it is possible to delete files and folders in the "root" bittorrent directory....

still no private tracker support 

canīt test timemachine as i only have a MiniMac with MAC OS X 10.4.11 BUT there is still no firmware update for MAC users -.-

iīll update the first post now ^^

regards,

SilverFoX

Message Edited by SilverFoX on 01-24-2009 01:53 PM

SilverFoX

• Tatanka

read in another thread that password protection for the bittorrent page could be on itīs way to the linkstation live with bittorrent....at least the info of the security flaw is passed to the "office" of buffalo ^^

regards,

SilverFoX