Author Topic: Persisting problems and feature suggestions regarding LinkStation Live with BitTorrent (LS-CH*L)  (Read 42853 times)

ShadowTD

• Calf
   I'd like to know when Buffalo are going to let us apparently second class Mac users upgrade to 1.06, let alone 1.07.  I still can't use the Bittorrent functionality.

MacAzur

• Calf

I support your request to know when Buffalo are going to let us apparently second class Mac users upgrade to 1.06, let alone 1.07.
I asked this same question a few days ago but did not receive any answer but not even a simple confirmation that this forum is read by Buffalo people.

Jocke72

• Calf

I may be going out on limb here: But the only difference in the firmware upgrade should be that the software used to install the new bios is for mac, the bios is the same since the hardware being upgraded is the same.

By this you should be able to use a PC to upgrade your Linkstation. If no PC is available try Darwine or VMWare Fusion...

/J

ShadowTD

• Calf

Thanks for your comments Jocke.  I've tried both - putting the 1.06 files in the 1.02 installer - it just quits.  Running XP in VMWare, it finds the drive but seems to be unable to update it.

:(

northernlights

• Calf

Since it's too quiet over in yonder iphone thread, thought I'd post my suggestions.

Every time the bittorrent client restarts it has to rescan the torrents in the Q to figure out which pieces it has already downloaded.

On a 60Gb torrent, it takes over an hour to 'verify' the torrent, & that's with a torrent completion of <10%

I fully expect this to get longer as the torrent gets closer to completion.

I wouldn't care, but it holds up all other torrents until it has verified. Not to mention the resource tax on the LS-CHLs CPU, Disk & Network speeds whilst it verifies.

My first suggestion would be to hold off on the verification process on torrents until that particular torrent has been manually started, THEN verify. 

That would only solve the problem for all other torrents though, if I wanted to start the large torrent I would still have to wait until it is verified. 

So, my second suggestion would be to be able to selectively download files within a torrent, to allow large downloads to be selectively downloaded, so I could say, select 3 files at 1 gb each, download them, copy & delete the completed files, start the torrent again, choosing the next set of 3 files.

Also, is there any point in asking for feature updates? Given it seems to have some sort of 'official' bittorrent certification judging by the bittorrent logo.  I guess what I'm asking is: Is it a client provided by Bittorrent with a Buffalo badge, or a set of specs that Buffalo adhere to?

Either way, what are the implications for feature requests rather than just bugfixes? Likely, not likely or don't know?

Only reason I ask is that I've been looking at the Popcorn Hour A110 as a like for like replacement for the LS-CHL, I can ignore the lack of gigabit ethernet in exchange for some much needed stability.

• Calf

Hi there, I've noticed that after the 1.07 upgrade, the USBdisk port is no longer accessible; whenever i switch the connected drive on, the linkstation hangs completely. I've already done a forced re-flash of 1.07 with no improvements. Ayone else experienced this issue?

Thanks

Message Edited by avatar976 on 03-08-2009 06:14 AM

zeecue

• Calf
   STILL NOTHING NEW???

• Calf
   Hi everybody, reverting to FW 1.06 (ticking all the debug mode options) broughtback to life mi ls-chl's USB port. Bittorrent random loss of parameters remains unsolved though. I'm quite angry for this unpaid beta testing.

zeecue

• Calf
   Still nothing?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
I would presume that in the event that no news is posted that no updates are available at this time. Please continue to bear with us.

MacAzur

• Calf

and even worse, we have been waiting for months for a Mac version of the 1.07 installer, which should take only 30 minutes to finalize for a developer, while the linkstation is advertized as Mac oriented.

Thi is a rip off !! 

shaun

• Calf

Agreed, this is taking a long time. Bought this product because of Bittorrent client. To find this doesn't work as advertised and is easily accessed from outside the local network is completely ridiculous.

All we ask for is to be kept in the loop.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
We post information on our website and here as we are notified of it. I understand your frustrations but with all do respect you have posted a ton of bumps in this thread and kept it afloat. Believe me we've noticed, but we (the techs who moderate these forums) are not the ones writing the firmware. So since the continued posts of frustration being taken out on the moderators and our tech support are clearly against our forum guidelines and also doesn't speed up the process, I would kindly request again for your patience. Thank you.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-09-2009 08:49 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull

Hi everybody, reverting to FW 1.06 (ticking all the debug mode options) broughtback to life mi ls-chl's USB port. Bittorrent random loss of parameters remains unsolved though.

avatar976, I wanted to check on one thing with your experience. After updating to firmware 1.07, did try resetting it to defaults from Maintenance->Initialization, Restore?

nighthawk

• Calf

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with USB sticks (FAT32), the USB port and Direct Copy:

When I push the "function"-Button on my LinkStation it starts to copy *a bunch of* files, but then the LinkStation to flashes red+blue on top, (the BitTorrent Client loses all settings). Sticks (tried 2 so far) are recognized in admin menu though.

Model: LS-CH1.0TL-EU (European version of LinkStation)

Bought it this week, came with firmware 1.07.

Target folder for Direct Copy is set.

avatar976, read your solution (downgrading the LinkStation to firmware 1.06).

Do you have the European version of the LinkStation aswell?

>>> Where did you get the 1.06 firmware?

>>> Is it the US/JP firmware?

>>> Are users with a US or JP LinkStation/firmware experiencing the same?

Or can someone else help?

Do I possibly sound desperate with some many questions?  :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BTW: Transfer rate is slow. FTP-Upload with about 2.1 MB/s.