Author Topic: 16TB RAID 10 on WIndows XP  (Read 1297 times)

goxmedia

• Calf
16TB RAID 10 on WIndows XP
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:58 am »
We're still running WIN XP Pro and recently purchased a 16TB RAID External Backup solution from Buffalo (it's a DriveStation™ Quad). It has four each 4TB drives currently configured in a RAID 10.

When plugged into the Windows machine, Disk Management is showing the Buffalo DriveStation Device as four separate drives as follows:

2048 GB

2048 GB

2048 GB

1306.58 GB

My question is this:

Does that sound right in terms of available space as Windows is reporting for a RAID 10? According to https://www.icc-usa.com/raid-calculator, we should have 8TB.

Because Windows is reporting this Devise as four separate drives (due to the 2TB limit on 32 bit systems), how does Windows honor the array?

For example, if I start dumping files in Drive D, are those files automatically distributed to the other three drives in the array since the Device is configured for RAID 10 and had an internal controller?

I'm a little lost as how this works since due to the limitations of Windows XP (32 bit) with drives larger than 2TB, I don't have the luxury with working with a single 16TB drive letter where the RAID works silently behind the scenes.

Thanks in advance for your help in understanding.

ratty2013

• Buffalo
Re: 16TB RAID 10 on WIndows XP
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:57:54 am »
Sorry, I'm a little confused as what you are trying to do and have done, are you using the drives on the Windows XP machine or have you installed the drives into the drivestation?