Author Topic: Recover from Failed TS-1.6TGL/R5?  (Read 13507 times)

mikeschinkel

• Calf
Recover from Failed TS-1.6TGL/R5?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »

I have a TS-1.6TGL/R5 which I has four (4) WD4000KD drives that I purchased for backup (yes, I now know that wasn't a good idea) and the unit failed. I think it was configured in a RAID 5 configuration, i.e. 1.2TB using disk #4 for redundancy.

I believe the drives are still good and would be willing to buy a used replacement if that would allow me to recover. I've found both a TS-H2.0TGL/R5 for $100 and a TS-HO.OTGL/R5 for $125 on eBay. If I were to purchase one of those would I be able to put my drives into it and access my data, assuming my drives are still good, of course?  And which one or both would work?

Another way to ask this question is, do the drives contain the RAID configuration or does the NAS itself contain the configuration in flash memory?  If the drives contain the information then I should be able to use them in another NAS.  If the NAS contains the RAID information, I'm screwed, right?  

And if the drives contain the information, what Buffalo NAS devices will work to help me recover the data off the drives?

Or is there another way to access via the Linux file system?

Note I don't plan to use the device I have to buy beyond just to recover the data.

Buiffalo, please help. I'm feeling pretty negative about NAS devices right now and thinking this would make a good blog post, as a positive post if I can recover or a negative post if I cannot.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Recover from Failed TS-1.6TGL/R5?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »

Dont buy either of those units you mentioned, they have different hardware from your original device, best option would be to mount 3 or more HDDs into a PC/SATA caddy and run recovery software on them (like UFS explorer)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mikeschinkel

• Calf
Re: Recover from Failed TS-1.6TGL/R5?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »
best option would be to mount 3 or more HDDs into a PC/SATA caddy and run recovery software on them
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not clear exactly how to do this. I am technical but more of a programmer and less of a systems/IT guy. What kind of PC/SATA caddy and what kind of recovery software? I'm running on a Mac but do have Windows 95 in a VMware window and can also install Vista in a VMware window if needed. Thanks in advance for your help. -Mike