Author Topic: re: Time restrictions tied to MAC address for wired and wireless clients  (Read 3429 times)

uhClem

• Calf

grizzleduser  wrote in the Ideas Exchange Lounge on 11-13-2010 10:43 AM - last edited on 11-17-2010 09:37 AM

Please add a time restriction setting for each MAC address for wired and wireless client in the next firmware update. An example can be found in the Linksys WRT54G wireless router setting.

Thank you in advance.

Update 11-17-2010: WZR-HP-G300NH is my wire/wireless router for the United States.

-------------------------------- end quote -------------------------------------------------

This is one of two reasons the WZR-HP-G300NH (US) I purchased many months ago wound up back in its box instead of replacing my Linksys WRT160N.  I have a child with "issues" and we need to keep her reigned in.  The OS X 10.6 parental controls help and I could just put her accout on time limits, but I like the way the Linksys allows me to block her from the Internet, while keeping local LAN access.

The aquisition of a Samsung Blu-ray disc player and HDTV (in addition to the WD HDTV Live player I already had) created a need for more ports in our family room, which was answered by deploying the WZR-HP-G300NH in access point mode.   Alas, the Samsung Internet@TV features build into the TV & BR aren't thought out well with respect to restricting access to apps which can go to inappropriate places and allow creation of accounts to those services.   So, they too must be blocked (they are both wired.)

I guess what I'd like to see in routers is a unified client table which allows one to do things like assign DHCP IP address, DNS name and access policies to a MAC address (be it wired or wireless.)

Cheers!