Author Topic: MKV format  (Read 4245 times)

thodges999

• Calf
MKV format
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
I have a 1Tb Linkstation Pro LS-XHL recently purchased in the UK. As well as using it as backup for my files, I also want to use it as a media server to feed my PS3 and then HD TV. Unfortunately most of my video files are in the MKV container which the PS3 doesn't play natively and which won't play from the LS-XHL. Could this format be added to those that the built in media server plays? Regards

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: MKV format
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »

any file format that the PS3 doesn't play natively, will still not play natively, whether it can played from the Linkstation or not.

If you have file formats not supported by the PS3, you need to change the files to supported PS3 file formats, if you want to play them on the PS3.

BTW - this isn't the board for suggestions.

This is the board to further explain and elaborate on suggestions posted in the Idea Exchange Lounge.

thodges999

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »

I probably didn't explain myself properly initially.

Before purchasing the LS-XHL I kept my .mkv files on my PC and used a programme called PS3 Media Server which transcoded them on the fly and streamed them to my PS3.

I guess I was after replicating this on the LS-XHL which would require some addition software.

My current workaround is to mux the .mkv file to a .ts file with tsMuxeR (takes about 40 secs for a 1Gb file) and store it on the LS-XHL. The PS3 can then play this from across the network.

As the processor requirements seem low, especially on the fly, as it is remuxing rather than reencoding, I would guess it should be possible to put something like PS3 Media Server and tsMuxeR on the LS-XHL solving my problem and making many people very happy.

regards

I'll put my reworded post as above in the Idea Exchange Lounge

Sniegov

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »

I totally agree, its good idea. They should add something to stream subtitles with films as well.

You can do something different then using tsMuxeR - try to change format .mkv to .mpg

sandro

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:26:34 AM »