Author Topic: LS Pro Duo gigabit speed issues  (Read 6297 times)

mwolski

• Calf
LS Pro Duo gigabit speed issues
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »

I have  LS Pro DUO and am seeing bad Gigabit network speed from it. The unit is:

Model: LS-WTGL/R1

firmware: 1.07

Raid: Raid 1 (edited)

Basically I have a completely gigabit network (router, switch, machines) and can transfer files from machine to machine at abour 30mb/s, EXCEPT if I transfer to the LinkStation. Any transfer to this machine is capped at about 9-10mb/sec.  I even tried upping the frame size to 4,102 (Jumbo Frame) with no noticeable difference in speed.  I have checked the switch, and it verifies that the LinkStation is operating at 1gigabit.

Note: this same 9-10mb/sec is exactly what I get from my old 10/100 NAS and I would expect the LinkStation to be somewhat faster.

How can I get the LinkStation operating at gigabit speeds?

Message Edited by mwolski on 10-17-2008 06:28 PM

mwolski

• Calf
Re: LS Pro Duo gigabit speed issues
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »

More specs:

Model: LS-WTGL/R1

firmware: 1.07

Raid: Raid 1

Router: 10-100-1000 Netgear RangeMax (note: note using wireless for these tests)

Switch: 10-100-1000 Netgear 16 port 

Computers: Both Vista 32 bit and Windows 2008 Server 32 bit

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
   I'm seeing similar speed (or lack thereof) issues with both my TeraStation Live and LinkStation Live boxes running on a gigabit ethernet, so I'm very interested in what you find out.

OldHand

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »

I have 2 TeraStation Live 2Gigabit units running Raid 5 and I wish I had your speed.  I am on a gigabit network as well and both stations seem to be running Gigabit.  I have one PC that does the others are 300M wireless and 100 Meg Full Dup.  From any system to the Stations the bottom speed is about 212KB and the top is around 1.2 Meg according to the Microsoft window.  This is with XP pro, Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit.  Its usable but just barely.  Anyone experienced this?  Know a workaround?  I am updating the firmware now will reply if it solves the problem.

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

I came across this knowledgebase article some time ago

http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10114&category_id=3&sid2=

ISSUE: TeraStation Transfer Rates

PLATFORM: TeraStation NAS

SOLUTION:

Terastation Transfer Rates (Regular, Home Server and Pro):

Average transfer speeds on the unit are 3-4 MBps (24-36 Mbps) on a 100 Mbps network and 7-8 MBps (56-64 Mbps) on a gigabit network. Some users have reported speed increases up to 11 MBps when using Jumbo frames in conjunction with Gigabit.

Terastation Transfer Rates (Pro II and Live):

Average transfer speeds on the unit are limited by the overall network traffic (usually to about 80 Mbps) on a 100 Mbps network and about 38 MBps (300 Mbps) on a gigabit network. Users may experience some performance boost when using Jumbo Frames in conjunction with gigabit ethernet.

So, is anyone getting anywhere near these numbers?

OldHand

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »
   I said I would get back to you once I found ANY speed improvement.  The firmware was a bust.  It turns out to be the same version I am running.  However, I found that Meda Server under PCAST was turned on by the factory on both my systems.  I turned them off and tested.  Speed has improved at least 10X now.  It seems that Media Server will use enough of your processor in the TeraStation to really bog it down.  Hope this helps someone else!

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »

That's both good and bad news.

I'll try turning off the media server and do some more testing.

However, I really want to keep the media server functionality, so I wonder if there are any tweaks that can improve performance when it's active.

Thanks

mwolski

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »

Well, whatever you do, don't pick Jumbo Frames (9,000). I decided to try this after reading that KB article on using them. Now, I cannot access my Linkstation Pro Duo. No errors, but it is totally missing from network after I changed that setting.  Even powered it down and back up, etc.

Although it sounds great, I am liking this device less and less.

AlanZ

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »

I disabled PCast and running a new backup using Retrospect 7.6 (no verification).

First impressions are promising.  For large video files, top file transfer speed with PCast was 200MB/min.  Top speed without PCast is around 500MB/min.

So this is progress, but obviously more speed is better.  Backups shouldn't have to take days to establish a base backup set. 

Thanks