Author Topic: Allow anonymous read access to access restricted folders  (Read 2449 times)

johnsonz1

• Calf
Allow anonymous read access to access restricted folders
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:37 am »

As with the current firmware of Buffalo LS-WVL, when access restriction for a folder is enabled, anonymous access is denied, and only users on the access restrictions list have access to it. This is not the default Windows behavior, and is very inconvenient for NAS users and admins. The Windows behavior, granting anonymous access if login fails, can be achieved rather easily in Samba. For example, if I want to make my media share writable only by user johnson, but readable by all users, all I have to do is to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf as follows, and send the smbd process a HUP signal.

But the manual configuration change cannot survive reboots. The web admin interface should really take this very common usage scenario into consideration, and add a check box "Allow anonymous read" to the Access Restrictions section.

#/etc/samba/smb.conf[media]        comment = Media Share        browsable = yes        path = /mnt/disk1/media        public = yes        writable = no        write list = johnson        guest ok = yes