Author Topic: Modem router wireless on/off button  (Read 3633 times)

HKG

• Calf
Modem router wireless on/off button
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »

I'm only aware of three modem routers with a button on the device that allows for wireless to be turned on/off. Two of them I have tried, but I received a lower synchronisation connection due to chipsets brand/model used in device.

The button on the device is the most convenient and intuitive option for this, and negates a requirement for a computer to be attached to the modem router to access option in UI.  So beneficial to portable users.

Due to the reasons listed below, I turn my router off when not in use to reduce electricity consumption. This has a disadvantage of making the DSLAM in the exchange think there is a problem with the phone line, if disconnected too many times during the day. It also means I might not synchronise as high the next time I power router on.  As a result I've been looking for a modem router that has reduced idle running cost (electricity consumption) without having to use the UI so wireless users can connect quickly and easily.

My personal reason for wanting such a button include:

• Ease of use for notebook owners to re-enable wireless without connecting notebook by wire to enter UI.
  • Reduced power usage during dormant times. Not sure how much difference it will make, but all small figures add up to make a more substantial figure.
  • Reduced wireless pollution. I don't see the point of 24 hour wireless broadcasting if feature is only used for a few hours.
  • Reduced exposure to password hacking.