Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH SMB (Windows) Share Setup - is it possible ?  (Read 13773 times)

swbca

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH SMB (Windows) Share Setup - is it possible ?
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

I bought this router thinking it supports an SMB Share to access a USB drive. If so could someone describe the basics for setting this up.  I have tried setting it up using USB Service in the Pro-Interface, but I don't seem to be on the right track.

First related question:

When formatting the USB drive in Windows 7, the options are NTFS or exFAT.  I formatted with exFAT

After trying some settings in USB Service, I tried finding the an SMB share on the router using . .

Run:    \\192.168.27.150  but I have not been able to find an SMB share.

I have never used a CD that comes with any routers that I have setup. Should I use the CD for this ?

Thanks

swbca

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH SMB (Windows) Share Setup - is it possible ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »

OK, so I create a partition that could be formatted in Fat32.   Now the router has mounted the partition on /mnt.

But under STATUS > Space Usage >  CIFS,     it shows "unmounted".  

Now what ?  

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »

You have to re plug in the external hard drive. It should then mount. Once it does you can go to start > run> and then type in \\theipofyourrouter .

You should see folder named "disk1_pt1". You can right click on this and choose map network drive. Choose the settings you want and it should map the drive to the drive letter you chose and appear under my computer. 

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »

OK Thanks,  The Disk Info shows up, but there is still "no path found" when trying to connect using \\routerip .   Is a SMB server actually running on the router or does something else else have to happen to create SMB network share ?  I would think there would be password settings for a share on the router.   I haven't seen anything about access control to access the attached USB drive except under NAS which is ftp, not SMB.   

setup

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »

I found another forum where it explained that DD-WRT has a Samba server but no GUI to configure it. 

They supplied commands to setup a an anonumous SAMBA share in terminal.

But I found no Terminal in the Buffalo interface of DD-WRT.

so with Telnet, I did this, but got some non-existent path messages.

( I guess this router was not intended to by a network storage device for an average user  like me)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DD-WRT v24-sp2 std (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 08/19/10 (SVN revision: 14998)

DD-WRT login: root
Password:
==========================================================

____  ___    __        ______ _____         ____  _  _
 | _ \| _ \   \ \      / /  _ \_   _| __   _|___ \| || |
 || | || ||____\ \ /\ / /| |_) || |   \ \ / / __) | || |_
 ||_| ||_||_____\ V  V / |  _ < | |    \ V / / __/|__   _|
 |___/|___/      \_/\_/  |_| \_\|_|     \_/ |_____|  |_|

DD-WRT v24-sp2
                   http://www.dd-wrt.com

==========================================================

BusyBox v1.13.4 (2010-08-19 15:28:04 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

root@DD-WRT:~# # Stop samba service
root@DD-WRT:~# killall smbd
killall nmbd
sleep 2

killall: smbd: no process killed
root@DD-WRT:~# killall nmbd
# Configure samba
mkdir -p /tmp/etc/samba
echo "
[global]
        netbios killall: nmbd: no process killed
root@DD-WRT:~# sleep 2
name = DD-WRT
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = DD-WRT
        syslog = 10
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        preferred master = no
        os level = 20

security = share
        guest account = nobody
        invalid users = root, mail, deamon, reboot
        null passwords = yes
        guest only = yes
        map to guest = Bad User

private dir = /tmp/etc/samba/
        lock directory = /var/lock/
        pid directory = /var/run/

unix charset = UTF-8
        dos charset = UTF-8
        map archive = No
        map hidden = No
        map system = No

[Share]
        path = /mnt/
        read only = no
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
" > /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf

# Add user for samba
# guest user
grep -q nobody /etc/passwd || echo 'nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false' >> /etc/passwd

# Start samba service
SMBOPTIONS="-s /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf"
/usr/sbin/smbd $SMBOPTIONS
/usr/sbin/nmbd $SMBOPTIONS
root@DD-WRT:~#
root@DD-WRT:~# # Configure samba
root@DD-WRT:~# mkdir -p /tmp/etc/samba
root@DD-WRT:~# echo "
> [global]
> netbios name = DD-WRT
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> server string = DD-WRT
> syslog = 10
> obey pam restrictions = yes
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> preferred master = no
> os level = 20
>
> security = share
> guest account = nobody
> invalid users = root, mail, deamon, reboot
> null passwords = yes
> guest only = yes
> map to guest = Bad User
>
> private dir = /tmp/etc/samba/
> lock directory = /var/lock/
> pid directory = /var/run/
>
> unix charset = UTF-8
> dos charset = UTF-8
> map archive = No
> map hidden = No
> map system = No
>
> [Share]
> path = /mnt/
> read only = no
> create mask = 0700
> directory mask = 0700
> " > /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf
root@DD-WRT:~# # Add user for samba
root@DD-WRT:~# # guest user
root@DD-WRT:~# grep -q nobody /etc/passwd || echo 'nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false' >> /etc/passwd
root@DD-WRT:~# # Start samba service
root@DD-WRT:~# SMBOPTIONS="-s /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf"
root@DD-WRT:~# /usr/sbin/smbd $SMBOPTIONS
-sh: /usr/sbin/smbd: not found
root@DD-WRT:~# /usr/sbin/nmbd $SMBOPTIONS
-sh: /usr/sbin/nmbd: not found

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

Its not that the router is not intented for NAS functions, its just that DD-WRT is so configurable that it can be difficult to set up and get it working correctly.

My recommendation would be, if you do not need the advanced features of DD-WRT, flash your router back to the User Friendly firmware, as there is a NAS feature integrated into that firmware.

Once the USB drive is mounted by the router, you should be able to access it at //ipaddressofrouter/sharename.

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »

Thanks . .  that's the answer.    Unfortunately, after the first reboot after saving my first changes in the friendly interface, the router bricked.  Connections to the router were no longer possible and the reset button does not bring it back to default settings. Reset does not restore 192.168.11.1 or DHCP services.  The WiFi key on the bottom of unit was accepted but the IP under WiFi was an unknown or non-existent.   Never had this happen before.   I have an MRA from Buffalo. 

Maybe Ill try a port 80 scan on its wired port from 192.168.1.0 – 192.168.27.254 to find an IP before I sent it back.  If I could find an IP, maybe I could reflash.   Its a long shot, there probably is no working tcp/ip stack.

By the way the WW-DRT pro interface is much more user friendly than the "User Friendly" interface.  The "User Friendly" interface is sort of like a 1000 piece puzzle.   I would be nice if there was a GUI for the Samba configuration in the Pro setup.

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:41:21 AM »

UPDATE:

Who would have guessed that flipping the physical swith on the bottom of the Access Point would change the routers IP address from 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.11.100

I found 192.168.11.100 when I ran a port 80 scan across a wide sweep of IP addresses.

If you do a carefully crafted Google search you will find that 100's of Buffalo owners have been stumped by the unit changing its IP address when you flip this switch.

A friendly suggestion to Buffalo:  Your routers have always been my favorites

There should't be "TRAPS" for buyers who don't read full manuals or don't use CD's to setup network equipment.

1.  The retail box say this router can do USB network sharing, but the default Web interface does not support USB this feature.  This cost me about 4 hours of headaches.

2.  The router changing IP addressed with a physical switch cost me another 3 hours.

I know this is my fault . . . I should read the manual.  But I am thinking that poeple that have set up routers and similar devices hundreds of times over several years don't read manuals or use CD's.  My Fault.  

I think that Buffalo should not have these traps in the product or should have some method of announcing wierd discrepancies like items 1 and 2 above to the new owners of this device.

I am glad I have everything working . . thanks in part to this forum

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »

UPDATE:

Buffalo Tech Support (speaks english in USA, crystal clear phone system) told me that DD-WRT forgot to include the SAMBA server configuration interface in the current firmware release for this router. That explains alot.

They said there will be a new firmware release soon that will include the Samba server config.

stu1019

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »

So I am having the same issues you are, not being able to access the hard drive I have plugged in. I can't even get the router to open using "Run" to show any folders. 

From what I have read through your post, it seems that you cannot use DD-WRT to access the hard drive and use it to store files? If I am incorrect, can you walk me through how you did it? 
I have the same router you have. 

swbca

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

There is an option to change the firmware in DD-WRT.  The "user friendly" firmware is on the CD.  Its still DD-WRT but with a different interface.  The set up for sharing a USB drive is very straight forward after you change the firmware.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »

Its not DDWRT at all, but yes, going back to that firmware will allow you to use the external hard drive.