Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH antenna question  (Read 14583 times)

buddee

• Big Bull
WZR-HP-G300NH antenna question
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »

Hello to all.

I have recently purchased a WZR-HP-G300NH using the 14998 DD-WRT build with it.  Best combination i have ever used!

I was curious to know if anyone knows the dBi rating on the panel-like fold out antennas that come with it. I have searched around on google and also read the product pdf, but I have come up with no results. I would be grateful to know this info so I can further tweak the settings within the dd-wrt firmware.

Best Regards.

mcg

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH antenna question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »

I, too, would like to know the antenna dBi and as well as the recommended tx/rx antenna chains to set in dd-wrt.  I submitted a tech support request for this information back in November and never received a response.

Setting tx antenna chain to 1+2+3 results in higher dBm reported by DD-WRT, but where is the third antenna?  Inside the enclosure?  Which way is it oriented?  Are the two antennae sticking out the top numbered 1+2 or 1+3?  Is it safe to pump higher dBm on antenna chains 1+2+3 or is the higher dBm on the "missing" antenna just resulting in useless RF radiating near me? 

Thanks.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

The WZR has two Dipole PCB style antennas (should be about x2 for power), and one internal PIFI antenna.

What is most important, is to orient the antennas in the same way as the antenna on the client antennas.

Ex: if the client notebook has it's antenna in the horizontal plane, it's best to orient the WZR antennas in the horizontal plane.

mcg

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »

Thank you for the information.  So I take that as 1+2+3 antenna chains in DD-WRT for both TX and RX.  Does the "x2 for power" translate into a "2 dBi" antenna gain setting in DD-WRT? 

Yes (drmemory)

Also, how is the internal PIFI antenna oriented?  The external antennae can be oriented "upward" whether the device is standing or on its flat side.  If I want the internal antenna oriented in the vertical direction (so as to radiate horizontally), should I stand the unit on edge (external antenna on top) or place it on its side?  It has feet for both orientations.

The PIFI is vertical, when the WZR is upright. The WZR uses antenna diversity between the antennas - they search for the best signal, in case of multipath interference.  (drmemory)

Thanks again for the clarification -- there is nothing in the documentation I could find about this.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »

Yes, thank  you for the reply. I am gonna fiddle around with it some and see if i can find an optimal setting for the dBi number, my ideal setting is that i would like to run the unit in 18dBm with 2dBi setting so it would basically produce 20dBm. It currently will not stay at 20dBm when manually set to this value within dd-wrt. It will show it at 20dBm in the advanced wireless settings, but in the status > wireless it always shows it at 18-19dBm sometimes even 17dBm. I purchased this so I could run it at its max radio power, so far, even at the 18dBm setting, it is VERY impressive. Thanks for this great hardware/firmware, will be making future buffalo purchases for sure!

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

@ mcg

I been running mine successfully at the settings i listed above with having it manually set to 18dBm and 2dBi antenna gain for some hours now, i am happy with the result, seems pretty stable and did help my range by 3-4 percent, which is pretty much what i expected. And the value has not changed, it has now stayed at 18dBi instead of fluxing from 19 to 17dBm.