Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH and home web server setup  (Read 8164 times)

gboysko

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH and home web server setup
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »

Hello:

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.60 (R6.20/B1.03) router and wanted to setup a local webserver for the computers at our house. Our ISP is Cox (cable). I have installed Apache Web Server and wanted to make it available to the rest of the computers on our home network as well as computers on the Internet.

I have setup an account at DynDNS and am able to associate a name with the router IP.

I now wanted to route web traffic from the internet IP of the router to one of the computers on network. I have tried to route traffic on TCP port 80 to the Apache Web Server running on another machine, but when I try to access it from the DynDNS name, I get the AirStation administration website. I tried to setup from from the Setup->Internet Games (Port Forwarding) dialog as well as the LAN Config->Port Forwarding page. Neither works.

Assuming I can get this to work, how would I associate this port forwarding to a specific computer on my network when the addresses are applied based on which order the machines connect?

I am trying to monitor the messages from the router more closely using a syslog viewer. Do you have any recommendations for a free syslog server for Windows which runs as a service?

How can I specify one of my computers as being the syslog server when the IP for it changes?

Thanks,
Glenn

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH and home web server setup
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »

This router does not support local NAT loopback, so from inside the network, you'll need to use the local host name or local IP address to access the web server.

A quick google search showed me Kiwi Syslog Server for Windows ( http://www.kiwisyslog.com/ ). I haven't used this software, and can't exactly recommend it, but it seems like it would do the job.

You can set static DHCP entries for client computers in the router's interface: Internet/LAN -> DHCP lease.

gboysko

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH and home web server setup
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:57 AM »

Colin137 wrote:

This router does not support local NAT loopback, so from inside the network, you'll need to use the local host name or local IP address to access the web server.

A quick google search showed me Kiwi Syslog Server for Windows ( http://www.kiwisyslog.com/ ). I haven't used this software, and can't exactly recommend it, but it seems like it would do the job.

You can set static DHCP entries for client computers in the router's interface: Internet/LAN -> DHCP lease.

Thanks for the suggestions. They worked well!