Author Topic: WHR-G125 Random Disconnection Problem  (Read 7746 times)

Riot

• Calf
WHR-G125 Random Disconnection Problem
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:47:12 AM »
   Router Disconnects randomly during gaming.

Signal Strength is Very Good, Router Speed @ 54 Mbps

My internet speed is 312 kbps, though I never DCied when I am directly connected to my Modem.

Running WinXP Service Pack 2.

Message Edited by Riot on 09-15-2009 07:58 PM
Message Edited by Riot on 09-15-2009 08:29 PM

thetimo

• Tatanka
Re: WHR-G125 Random Disconnection Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:38:06 AM »
   There might be another wlan in the same channel you are using nearby. Have you tried to use another channel?

Riot

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »

What's a channel?

Do you mean a router nearby?

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:43 AM »
   I mean wireless channel your router is using to keep the signals transmitted in an organized way. The channel can be chosen from 'Wireless config' tab, I think. If there's another wlan (router) in the neighbor's house, for example, that is using the same channel as you are, the signals get mixed and weakened. That might explain the fact you lose connection now and then.

Riot

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »

Do routers have default channels?

There are two D-Link routers nearby BTW

So how do I change my channel anyway?

I just knew that countries had default channels

I live in the Philippines, do you know what are the default channels here?

Edit: I just found this on a website. Please tell me what channel to use

Some cordless phones operate at the 2.4GHz range, but most of the ones sold here operate only at 900MHz. Still, its a good thing to try switching channels first.

The legally allowed frequencies for cordless phones in the Philippines are in the 46 MHz to 49 MHz band and another narrow range of 1.88 to 1.92 GHz. Cordless Phones that are in the 900 MHz can get interference from and can cause interference with regular mobile phones that also operate in that range. Cordless phones that use the 2.4 GHz range can cause interference with Wi fi and the newer 3G phones that also operate in that range.

Some people said Channel 5. Is that correct?

Should I experiment?

Message Edited by Riot on 09-15-2009 09:34 PM

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »

Routers do have default channels, but since you live there and I live in Europe, I can't tell which is yours. Surely it's different from the one my firmware had originally. To be honest, I don't remember my original settings any more, I've had to alter my channel for the very reason there was a wlan in my neighbor using the same channel as me.

The D-Links may well interfere with your connection if all three routers use the default channel. You can change the channel from the web-ui of your router. Again, I think it is done via a drop-down list in the Wireless config-tab. My WHR-G125s are not at home, so I'm not able to check this... 

You can change the channel freely, no defaults need to be followed. Channel 5 is just as good or bad as any other. The only way is to try and see what happens unless you know the channels your neighbors use. One way to find it out is to use a software like Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.