Author Topic: installing client manager3 using vista home basic  (Read 5885 times)

digitaldoberman

• Calf
installing client manager3 using vista home basic
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »

Hi,

Hoping someones had a similar problem and can maybe help me out with this one.

I've been running a PC, laptop and PS3 (all wired) through an Air station WHR-G54S for ages without having to install the client manager or drivers as it all 'plugged and played'.

However, my wife has just got a Toshiba laptop (satellite L300) which has built in wireless and is running Vista home basic, but we cant get the client manager3 software (ver 8.2.5) to install as it keeps coming up with a message box "only execute this program under administrator guidence".

There's only 1 account on the laptop - which is administrator, and other (even older) software has successfully installed, so I'm wondering if it's a 'Buffalo' thang, and whether anyone else has had a similar problem.

The laptop 'finds' the router fine, and prompts us to connect to the network, but then asks us for a passkey, which we haven't got, and am guessing will only get when the client manager is installed. Hence our problem.

If it's just a case of downloading a 'vista compatible' version of the client manager, would anyone have a link; or, if anyone knows of a way I can set up the software on a (wired) PC, and then sort out a passkey for the wireless connection, then please let me know.

Thank you.   :D

dgkelp

• Tatanka
Re: installing client manager3 using vista home basic
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

You don't have to install the client manager to be able to connect.  The built in Windows connection manager should work just fine. 

The client manager will not resolve your passkey issue.  That is something that you set up internally on the router.  You will have to log into the user interface by going to 192.168.11.1 on a computer that is currently plugged into the device.  When you do this you will get prompted for a username and password.

Username:  root

password:  none(just leave field blank)

Once you are in, on the first screen you will see something about wireless encyption you can change the encryption password through this option.

digitaldoberman

• Calf
Re: installing client manager3 using vista home basic
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
   thanks v v much, u r a legend :D