Author Topic: Cannot connect wireless with WHR G300N  (Read 9886 times)

mmayra

• Calf
Cannot connect wireless with WHR G300N
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:59:41 AM »

I reset my wireless router because I was having difficulty trying to connect to a VPN service. After hard resetting the router (mistake), I reset all of the router and PC settings to my previous settings and both of my laptops (windows XP & Vista 64 bit) can see the network name; try and connect, but after about 2 minutes it stops and fails. I have no problems connecting through the wired connection on the router. So, now I have two problems - not able to connect to VPN or wireless connection.

I need the VPN because I am on temporary assignment in China from the US and the Chinese government has blocked Youtube, most blogs, facebook, etc.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: Cannot connect wireless with WHR G300N
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
   Make sure DHCP is enabled in the router and has a large range(say for up to 64 addresses) and make sure the computers are set to obtain an IP automatically.

mmayra

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:15 AM »
   Thanks for the tip. I will try when I get home from work tonight.

mmayra

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:01:53 AM »
   Still no luck in getting wireless to connect after checking DHCP settings. I have the WHR G300N attached to a linksys router which is connected to a dsl cable modem. I unplugged all devices and waited 5 minutes, then started dsl modem, linksys router, and WHR G300N in that order -- still no wireless. I also tried to change the encryption from WPA to WEP. I did have all of these components working great for about 5 months before I tried to connect to a VPN service and rebooted by WHR G300N.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:50:16 AM »
   Try changing the wireless channel and check that MAC Filtering is turned off.

mmayra

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
   Thank-you sooooooooooo much! Changing the wireless channel worked. Now I have to figure out my VPN.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
   You may need to tick PPTP Pass Through in the router (security>VPN Pass Through) for VPN to work.

mmayra

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:34 PM »
   Thanks again for your help. It worked!