Author Topic: WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Problem  (Read 8242 times)

woosters

• Calf
WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Problem
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »

I set up my router and I am able to get to the web with my XP laptop and my friend is able to get to the web with his Vista laptop. However my Vista laptop connects, but only a "local" connection - can't get to the web. I am able to wirelessly connect with that Vista laptop to other wifi sites though.

I can connect to the web with that Vista laptop if direct wired to the router. However when I try to go wireless to the router with that laptop I get a local connection only.

Any ideas of what to check or what might be causing this?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »

It is possible that you are getting interference?  How many wireless networks are being detected?  Do you have 2.4 GHZ phones?  How much distance is there between the router and computer?  Do you have cable or DSL?  What lights are on the front of the router?

Assuming the unit is not in bridged mode I would try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps.

woosters

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
   Hmmm...could be those things, but why wouldn't those things affect other laptops in the same room? Had two different people bring their laptops into my computer room and they could connect to my router wirelessly. I just can't connect wirelessly with my laptop. So just seemed to me it might be more of a "setting" issue with my laptop versus a problem with the router/network itself. Of course I could be wrong - has been known to happen from time to time ;)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »

Unless you are using WEP encryption I think it is the best first troubleshooting step.  If you are using WEP try TKIP.

It could be a setting issue but it is hard to tell at this point with the information that you have provided.  One setting that you can try is deleting all of your prefered wireless networks from this laptop.

You said it worked with your friends vista laptop.  Whats different?  Are they 32 or 64 bit (not that it should matter)?  Do you both use the windows wireless utility to connect?

Also please answer the uestions in my first post.  I really think that more information could be benefitial here.

woosters

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »

It is possible that you are getting interference?  Not that I'm aware of

How many wireless networks are being detected? Many - live in a large condo community 

Do you have 2.4 GHZ phones? No 

How much distance is there between the router and computer?  5 inches

Do you have cable or DSL? Cable 

What lights are on the front of the router? Power and lowercase g lights

woosters

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:38:16 PM »

You said it worked with your friends vista laptop.  Whats different? Sadly don't know -can't find any differences -but I'm sure there must be

Are they 32 or 64 bit (not that it should matter)?  Both 32

Do you both use the windows wireless utility to connect? Yes, both of the laptops use windows wireless utility to connect

woosters

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
   Finally solved problem. Went into Wireless Network Connection properties and went into the properties of both Internet Protocol Version 6 and Internet Protocol Version 4. One of them had IP information in there. I changed them both to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and then all of a sudden it worked and I could connect wirelessly to the router AND to the web