Author Topic: To inquire WHR-HP-G54 (router) capability.  (Read 7019 times)

Mikewhrhpg54

• Calf
To inquire WHR-HP-G54 (router) capability.
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »

I recently purchased this router (WHR-HP-G54) and it a solid product. I am very pleased with it. However, my house has two floors. So I have some electrical equipments that need some network connections on the first floors. I am considering to purchase another router for them but I am not sure if it is going to work like I thought. I would like your tech input because I want to use the wired network for these equipments.

My thought is that I could connect my second router to my first through wireless. Then, my second router could give access to those equipments on my first floor. I am not sure what term I should use for this situation but I believe it does exist. In other words, either one of these routers will be hardwired from my cable then the second one will pick up the signal from wireless and acts as an Acceess Point or Router. Please enlight me.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: To inquire WHR-HP-G54 (router) capability.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »

You are looking to set up WDS.  You're router has this capability so you want to make sure your second buffalo router does as well.  I suggest buying another one of these same routers to accomplish this task.

I will post instructions to set up in a few min. for you as well.  Just bookmark this thread.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

Setting up WDS bridging

Physical Setup

• Have the routers, and/or Access Points next to one another, and physically plugged into each other via the LAN connection.
  • Change the "Access Point" unit into Bridged mode by changing the phsyical switch from "auto" to "bridge"
  • Verify that you can log in to all devices through web browser before starting.

Router IP(default): 192.168.11.1
Bridge IP(common default): 192.168.11.100

username: root
default password: <leave blank>

Device Config

• Setup the router normally, but do not enable encryption yet. Wait until WDS is working.
  • From Advanced screens, go to Wireless Config->Basic in both devices
  • Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel. Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6.
  • The SSID does not matter but we recommend they be the same, but it will work just as well if they are different.
  • Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Frameburstingor Do not use. (Framebursting is recommended if all of your clientdevices support it).
  • Click Apply and allow the devices to reset and apply thesettings. It's importnat to fully apply changes on the Bridge unitfirst. Applying changes will cause each unit to reboot. If the Routerunit starts rebooting, you will be unable to apply settings on theBridged unit until the Router has fully rebooted.
  • Go to Wireless Config->Repeater on both devices.
  • Repeater-Bridge (WDS) must be set to Enable.
  • Click Apply (Bridge unit first, then Router)
  • Click Edit Registered WDS Partners
  • Under Add New WDS Partner Access Point, enter the wireless MACaddress of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridgewith.
  • Click New Partner.
  • The AirStation will reboot, and when the screen refreshes, thesecond AirStation’s MAC address will be listed under Bridgeable AccessPoints.
  • Now, repeat this process for the other Devices.
  • Once you are done, disconnect the ethernet cable, power cyclethe devices, and watch for a storm of wireless activity on the wirelessactivity light.
  • Verify that WDS is working by logging into the repeater (192.168.11.100) from a wired connection to the Router.
  • Now you can enable Encryption if you would like. Enable theEncryption on the access point first, then the router. If you do therouter first you will not be able to communicate with the Access Point,and it will be orphaned.

Mikewhrhpg54

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »

Please mark this thread as "Solved!"

Thank you for a great help. I got these routers working. I can say they are a perfect pair.