Author Topic: Two whr-hp-g54, how to connect  (Read 7112 times)

JonnyG

• Calf
Two whr-hp-g54, how to connect
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »

I have owned a WHR-HP-G54 for a couple of years and it has worked flawlessly!

I would like to buy a second WHR-HP-G54 in order to get more range of access. Need help to confirm my plans would work and exactly how to set this up.

Location A: my Comcast cable entry point, my Motorola cable modem (SBV5250) connected to my current WHR-HP-G54, and my Windows XP primary working location with Cat5 connection to the WHR-P-G54 and the Motorola cable modem. Downstairs lower corner of basement is the physical location in my home for location A.

Location B: is a second computer (Vista). Location B is connected to Location A via Cat 5 cable. Right now this Cat5 cable is connecting the computer at location B to the WHR-HP-G54. Location is upstairs at opposite corner of the house from Location A (about 100 feet distance on the Cat5 cable).

I also tend to roam around the house with a laptop and access web via wireless connection to the WHR-HP-G54 at Location A. Problem is I get very good wireless connection downstairs level, but not very good wireless connection upstairs.

Since I happen to have the Cat 5 cable connection between Location A and Location B, I was thinking I could add a second WHR-HP-G54 at location B. Then I would have the two WHR-HP-G54's connected via the existing Cat5 connection (about 100 feet by the way between two levels/two locations). Both I would hope would then each provide wireless coverage.

Benefit would be now have a second WHR-HP-G54 at the upstairs location B giving me much better wireless connection upstairs. I assume my Vista workstation at location B would then just Cat5 cable to the now added WHR-HP-G54 (no sense making that one a wireless connection).

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide,

Jon 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Two whr-hp-g54, how to connect
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »

Setting up WDS bridging

Physical Setup

• Have the routers, and/or Access Points next to one another, and physically plugged into each other via the LAN connection.
  • Change the "Access Point" unit into Bridged mode by changing the phsyical switch from "auto" to "bridge"
  • Verify that you can log in to all devices through web browser before starting.

Router IP(default): 192.168.11.1
Bridge IP(common default): 192.168.11.100

username: root
default password: <leave blank>

Device Config

• Setup the router normally, but do not enable encryption yet. Wait until WDS is working.
  • From Advanced screens, go to Wireless Config->Basic in both devices
  • Turn OFF Auto Channel, for Wireless Channel. Set it to an actual channel, I suggest 11, or 6.
  • The SSID does not matter but we recommend they be the same, but it will work just as well if they are different.
  • Change Framebursting from 125 High Speed Mode to Frameburstingor Do not use. (Framebursting is recommended if all of your clientdevices support it).
  • Click Apply and allow the devices to reset and apply thesettings. It's importnat to fully apply changes on the Bridge unitfirst. Applying changes will cause each unit to reboot. If the Routerunit starts rebooting, you will be unable to apply settings on theBridged unit until the Router has fully rebooted.
  • Go to Wireless Config->Repeater on both devices.
  • Repeater-Bridge (WDS) must be set to Enable.
  • Click Apply (Bridge unit first, then Router)
  • Click Edit Registered WDS Partners
  • Under Add New WDS Partner Access Point, enter the wireless MACaddress of the other AirStation, the one that you want to form a bridgewith.
  • Click New Partner.
  • The AirStation will reboot, and when the screen refreshes, thesecond AirStation’s MAC address will be listed under Bridgeable AccessPoints.
  • Now, repeat this process for the other Devices.
  • Once you are done, disconnect the ethernet cable, power cyclethe devices, and watch for a storm of wireless activity on the wirelessactivity light.
  • Verify that WDS is working by logging into the repeater (192.168.11.100) from a wired connection to the Router.
  • Now you can enable Encryption if you would like. Enable theEncryption on the access point first, then the router. If you do therouter first you will not be able to communicate with the Access Point,and it will be orphaned.

JonnyG

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:14:43 PM »

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

And just to confirm, in this configuration both WHR-HP-G54's will be functioning as wireless access points. I know "access point" may not be the correct term, but what I am trying to confirm is that in this configuration:

#1 WHR-HP-G54 which is in the lower building level and connected to the cable modem will provide for good wireless web access in the lower level

and

#2 WHR-HP-G54 which is in the upstairs level of the building will provide good wireless access in the upstairs level of the building. And a key point is that the #2 WHR-HP-G54 which is upstairs is connected via Ethernet to the #1 WHR-HP-G54 which is in the lower level

Again thank you 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
Yes, that should be fine

JonnyG

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

One more question on this if you don't mind.

Will the connection speed be reduced for the Location #2 WHR-HP-G54?

The config would be:

Cable Modem Ethernet cable to Location #1 WHR-HP-G54. Then Location #1 WHR-HP-G54 is actually Ethernet cabled to Location #2 WHR-HP-G54 (due to existing wire availability). So will a desktop PC Ethernet connected to Location #2 WHR-HP-G54 suffer any reduction in speed given its going through two WHR-HP-G54's all connected via Ethernet?

Thanks again for you patience  

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »

Sorry i misunderstood what you were talking about with your network setup.  You can just configure these both as access points for that.  Then link them together through the LAN ports.

And to answer your question not really, there will be a slight latency increase of maybe half a millisecond, but that's about it

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-08-2009 08:51 PM