Author Topic: Nfiniti Wireless-N Ultra-Compact WLI-UC-GN not supported on Vista 64-bit  (Read 13735 times)

Exillis

• Calf

I was very disappointed to find my WLI-UC-GN (NFinity Wireless-N Ultra-Compact Adapter) is unsupported.

After launching the installer, I am greeted with a "Not supported on Vista x64" message, yet I could not find this information on the Buffalo website. I tried following the "Wireless driver only" option on pg. 12 of the manual but the driver could not be found the included CD-ROM.

Has anyone figured out a way to use this product on Vista 64-bit? I don't care about the AOSS feature or using this as an access point. I would just like to use it as a basic wireless client for a desktop machine.

Thanks for any help. 

Jason

• El Toro

There is not a way for those drivers to work on 64 bit that I'm aware of.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/nfiniti-wireless-n/nfiniti-wireless-n-ultra-compact-usb-20-adapter-wli-uc-gn/

here under the specifications tab you'll see it's OS support is specifically vista 32-bit and xp.

Also, I took a look at the drivers on the CD and it's all compiled for X86 so there is no way to use those drivers on a X64 machine. 

Exillis

• Calf

That's very disappointing. Has anyone had success with the OEM RALink drivers for Vista 64-bit?

Buffalo, please consider offering a 64-bit driver for Vista users. 

Exillis

• Calf

I answered my own question. Download the OEM RAlink driver from www.ralinktech.com and grab the latest USB driver (version 2.3.1.0 for Vista 64-bit).

Plug in the dongle, install the driver. You need to explicitly look for the driver folder under the "Program File (x86)" where the driver setup is installed. Windows will pick it up. Under the device manager you see that Windows Vista is now using the RALink driver and a "R+" icon will appear in the taskbar. From there you can scan for your router.

I don't know why Buffalo won't support 64-bit Vista. The driver is working just fine. 

p2k

• Calf

Thanks for the solution, for the not so technical people... how do we find out where the driver is installed?

If this driver works, I'd like to update it as its newer than the one supplied by buffalo for xp

Message Edited by p2k on 05-09-2009 11:02 AM

Terrylaw

• Calf

Hello, I also fellow your steps to install this driver on my Vista 64 Ultimate.

But it always said there is no suitable driver on the folder.

Is there any comment for this issue? Thanks.

Terrylaw

• Calf

Finally, I got the right solution for this issue.

First, I have to install the driver package which was downloaded from RAlink.com

Next, after installed this driver package, plug in the device.

If windows device wizard existed, just uses the manuel mode to select by yourself.

Check the device list, you will find out a unnamed WiFi driver in the list, choose it for your USB wireless card and it works.