Author Topic: WHR-G125 Wireless Router Help with Windows Vista?!? ANY help would be appreciated.  (Read 5827 times)

nephilim11

• Calf

Hello!

I just received a new laptop that came with Windows Vista installed and can't seem to get logged onto my own network for the life of me.  

My network shows up when I search for wireless connections.  But when I try and connect, it prompts me for additional information: "Enter Credentials" (username, password, and logon domain).  I've never been prompted for a username with this router before in my life...let alone domain information.   I can only assume that it is the router itself, b/c other secured networks' prompts give you the option for a WEP security code (which is what I was looking for).  

Has anyone come accross this?  Dell wouldn't help b/c they said they aren't trained on Buffalo equipment and I tried calling Buffalo directly with no luck in getting through.  =/

I appreciate any help given.  Don't know what else to do besides purchase a new router if I can't come up with an answer soon.  Thanks again! 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Yeah Vista often times has a problem with WEP security.  Windows will see the network with a different type of encryption than it is actually using.  Try switching to TKIP encryption (Its more secure anyway) and that should fix your issue.  Here are instructions on how to change your security settings:

Once you've determined what level of security you can use, to set it upgo into the router's configuration. You can do this by going to "http://192.168.11.1"from a Web browser. This must be done from a wired connection or afunctional wireless connection. The username is "root" and there is nopassword by default. Go into Advanced->Wireless Config->Security.Select the radio button for the encryption type you are using.  If you areusing TKIP or AES, enter a password of at least 8 characters. ClickApply and then Set to apply the setting. To connect, you will need toenter the password or key into each computer that is connectingwirelessly. 

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 04-11-2009 01:04 PM

nephilim11

• Calf
   Thank you so much!  I have learned quite about about local networks these past few days.  I was able to get my laptop going within 15 minutes of reading your post.  Thanks so much for the help!