Author Topic: WHR-HP-G54 port forwarding error  (Read 9694 times)

yiddles

• Calf
WHR-HP-G54 port forwarding error
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »

I've been trying to set up port forwarding on my WHR-HP-G54 to achieve open NAT for better Xbox Live support. When I try to save the settings I get the following:

ERROR: system
CONTENTS: Can not write to file

I've tried the usual stuff, i.e. rebooting the router, but this error persists. I'm using the latest firmware (WHR-HP-G54 Ver.1.40 (1.0.37-1.08-1.04). Any idea how to fix this? 

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: WHR-HP-G54 port forwarding error
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
   You can download and install the same version of firmware to fix that issue. Its not going to cancle the update on you if its the same version. You can download it from buffalotech.com/support/downloads

Kevin_M

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »

Have you tried opening any other ports? See if the problem is only with that specific port, or that function on the router. Also you can check to make sure it's going through: canyouseeme.org will let you know if it is open, if you can't get any ports to go through and it seems to be the function on the router. try a power cycle if you haven't already, a little more powerful than a reboot, which is unplugging the router as well as the modem its attached to.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:15:35 AM »
   Just enter the IP address of the xbox into the DMZ of the router, this will automatically open all the nesessary ports.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

davo is correct, but this could potentially open up security problems.

Try resetting the router to defaults with the reset button, and try again.

yiddles

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

This did the trick!

I also tried davo's solution of setting my Xbox's IP to the DMZ. That was an extremely easy way to accomplish what I wanted to do, but I'm not sure about how risky it is. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »
The DMZ is much riskier than opening the specific ports that you need, since it opens ALL of the ports.