Author Topic: Cloudstor Problem with Time Machine  (Read 8881 times)

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
Cloudstor Problem with Time Machine
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a Cloudstor Pro 2TB. I got a second 2TB WD Green hard drive, and configured the device in RAID1. My main reason for this purchase was to do remote backups of two of our Apple computers via Time Machine, as well as backup photos taken on vacation. Currently, this is a $400 lump of worthless plastic and metal in my basement server room. Why? Aside from the Pogoplug app not allowing bulk iOS uploading to the drive, I am required to bring a computer on trips with us (from which doing Cloudstor backups is good but not ideal). Apparently Pogoplug is working on bulk uploads, and this isn't a concern with Buffalo. The other reason it is a worthless product, is because Time Machine won't work. Not only that, but Buffalo's tech support seems to have no idea how to make it work. I've followed every tutorial, every instruction, everything, and my MacBookPro won't recognize the drive or begin to do the backup. It's extremely frustrating to buy a device claiming to be Time Machine compatible, but have absolutely no support to help that happen. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to setting Time Machine up? I'm very tempted to box this thing back up and return it, if I can't get Time Machine running soon. P.S. I followed the above guide to setting up Time Machine by manually creating the .sparsebundle file, but still a no-go. I am also faced with the "connect as" script when trying to choose the drive for Time Machine usage. Buffalo says I need to try as a Guest, but won't explain why. I've set up the web GUI to allow Time Machine use, and gave it my computer name and my computers Mac Address. When attempting to run TM, I get an Error 45 that won't allow the volume to be created (even though the volume exists). I am currently wiping the entire drive clean and starting fresh. Can someone PLEASE post some info on getting this to work?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Cloudstor Problem with Time Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »

There is no way that this will work remotely. Locally it will work just fine. You're trying to do this remotely or locally?

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Locally. I get error, after error, after error.

kzaidi

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »

Hi,  I was getting error after error also.  It looks like I found the problem, at least for me.   So on the web gui, under backup, where we put the name of the computer and the Mac Address, make sure the Name is exactly what you have if you look in system pref, under sharing (without the .local).  Also make sure the mac address you use,  is the one for the ethernet, not the wireless.   Even though you might be using the wireless, it still has to be the mac address for the ethernet card.   This was my problem, i kept using the wireless mac address.   Once I used this, it worked fine. 

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »
Kzaidi - That seems to have done the trick. Why don't they just say that? I went a step further though, and created my own sparsebundle so that I could limit file size (so an entire 2TB wasn't dedicated to my backups). I made my time machine partition 600GB, and I'll do the same for my wifes computer. I did that by following these steps: Open Utilities > Disk Utility a) Select the "New Image" option to create you new disk image and save it to your Desktop. b) Start at the bottom with changing the Image Format to "sparse bundle disk image". c) Change "Partitions" selection to "No partition map." d) Leave "Encryption" as is, set to "None". e) Change "Volume Format" to "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)". f) Change "Volume Size" to "Custom" and enter a volume size that suits your needs. I chose GB (Gigabyte) instead of MB (Megabyte) and set it to 300, effectively reserving a maximum 600GB backup size for Time Machine. g) Change "Volume Name" to something like "My Backup" (can be anything you like). h) Make sure "Where" is set to "Desktop". There is a known issue where if you try to create the sparse bundle disk image on a network drive, it will fail. i) Here is where you need your Computer Name that you set earlier and the Ethernet Address that you found in Termnial. Choose "Save As" name as the "ComputerName_EthernetAddress.sparesebundle", in my case I entered "mymacname_ethernet address". j) Click on "Create" to finish the process. I opened Finder, clicked on the CS-WV time machine folder under "shared" and dragged/dropped the newly created sparsebundle into the time machine folder. I still have to sign in as "guest" but it seems to be backing up.... 1 million files.... 2GB of 340 done. If only I could set it up to work remotely, I'd be much happier with this device. At least I won't return it now.

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
Is this supposed to be so slow? It's only transferring data at ~8.5MB/s according to Activity Monitor. Seems really slow for a gigabit ethernet connection...

kzaidi

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »

Great that it worked for you now.  Yes it's slow for me as well, but remember if you are doing this over wifi, theoretically the max speed you will get is going to be the top speed of your wifi card. (b = 11, g=54, and N= 150 or 300 depending on your setup).   And realistically it will be much slower.     Try plugging in via ethernet, and see what you get. 

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
I am plugged in via ethernet. Airport is turned off, ethernet only. We are set up as 802.11g when on wireless, but I have my computer connected via ethernet right now.

kzaidi

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »

My speeds were around 5 MB/s over wireless N.   I can't use ethernet.     I have the slower buffalo cloudstor,   which has a 600 Mhz processor, the Pro version has 1.6 GHz processor.  I'm thinking of returning this and getting the Pro version.       

Maybe someone else can respond to what else might be causing the slow speeds. 

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »
Why can't you use ethernet? Cables not run? The price difference between the Pro and the standard was marginal. Less than $20 after sale. It seemed foolish not to get the Pro. Buffalo marketing is pretty bad, though. They don't mention the differences between the Pro and standard. I got it because "the pro must be better, and it's only $20", not because I KNEW it was better. It seems to be doing a little better now, hovering around 9.5MB/s, but the peak is only 10.3MB/s, which still seems slow. DEFINITELY slower than using Firewire to my portable drive.

kzaidi

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »

Where did you buy it from ?   the difference is about $100 for me.. 

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
Microcenter: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=cloudstor&N=0&submit.x=0&submit.y=0 It's actually a $30 price difference right now. The non-pro wasn't on sale when I got mine last week, so it was only a $20 difference.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »

for time machines issues, we have a sticky at the top of the Storage Board on how to resolve the time machine issue.

Cloudstor-user

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:52 AM »
And I definitely appreciate the sticky. Unfortunately it provided zero help, just like e-mail support did. Fortunately there was someone else who was willing and able to help out.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05:04 AM »

The main thing is that you are up and running. How is the CS working out for you now?