Author Topic: Speed problem in gigabit LAN  (Read 3006 times)

SuperPC

• Calf
Speed problem in gigabit LAN
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:11:21 AM »

i have LX WXL DUO NAS with 2x 1.5 TB hard drive in it (i bought it empty). i've use it for about half a year now. i just bought a gigabit router with wireless n. now if the hard drive is pluged in directly into a PC it can write with speed of 40 MBps. if i pluged the hard drive in LX WXL DUO and put it in the router it can only write 20 MBps. even if the LX WXL DUO is plugged in directly to the gigabit LAN in my laptop it can only write at 20 MBps. i've tried changing the frame size but increasing it makes the write speed even lower (around 10 MBps with gigabit LAN router or plug directly into my laptop). the read speed is over 50 MBps though so no problem there. just problem with write speed.

I'm using the NAS in normal mode. so no RAID at all.

Is there anything wrong with my NAS? is there anything that i can do to increase the speed to at least 35 MBps? PS i already have 2 TB of data in it. i don't want to make a RAID and have to back up all that data.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Speed problem in gigabit LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »

You state that your unit can write at 40MBps when plugged directly into your PC. So I would beleive that the unit is fine and it would be the other devices. With the router connection, are you also wired to the router or are you accessing it wirelessly?

SuperPC

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »

i put the hard drive in a USB enclosure than plug that to my router usb drive. than i connect my PC to my router with a LAN cable. when i did that i got 30-40 MBps (the speed fluctuates for some reason).

the NAS never reach 40 MBps either plug directly to my PC or through a router. only when i remove the hard drive that's usually inside that NAS and put it in USB enclosure than plug that to my PC i get 40 MBps write speed.

why can't i get that kind of speed with my NAS? is it broken? should i return it? do RAID setting matter (i use my NAS in normal mode, no RAID. but the hard drive itself is capable of 40 MBps when plugged to the USB port of my router so RAID doesn't really matter right)?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »

I thought at first this was the LS WVL. If this is the LS WXL then you're actually getting average speeds. The LS WVL gets between 40-72MBps. This one maxes out at around 20MBps.