Author Topic: Disk Backup Terastation to Terastation places extra extension on file name  (Read 3037 times)

btempleton

• Calf

I have 2 terastations  model TS-1.0TGL/R5.  I use the first as a repository for our server backups.  I want to use a terastation disk backup to backup those files to the second terastation. When I setup the job I chose a folder of station 1 and said to do a Overwrite Backup (Differential) and to not to Create Folder to identify backup source.  So on station one a file example would be  Share\Server1\server1backup.tib.  When the file appears on station two, it is named \Share\Server1\server1backup.tib.zj9st.  Why is an additional extension appended?  It appears to be randomly generated.  Each file has a different one. Not every file has an additional extension.  I could not find an explanation in the help screens or in the manual.  Thanks for any help.

Jotin

• Big Bull

Did you enable compression on the back up job? 

btempleton

• Calf

No, I did not include compression.  I think I have the answer.  From further observation, the extra extension seems to indicate a file is in the process of being backed up.  Once the backup is that file is complete, the extra extension is removed.  I was testing with very large files so it took a long time to complete.

Jotin

• Big Bull

Makes sense. I'm glad you caught that.