Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo: External Drive Options?  (Read 11755 times)

Gargamel2003

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo: External Drive Options?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »

you can do the backups at night. The good thing is: you don't have to run your PC during the backups. So time is not very important.

My LinkStation Pro Duo is running 24 hours a day for two years now.

newprometheus

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »

Well, its a good thing that the Linkstation Pro Duo can run 24 hours a day for two years, because your reply came just over a year after my last post on the subject.  Not exactly what I would call a timely response there Gargamel... ;)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:57 AM »

Yeah, he seems to have a habit of doing that by the looks of things!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

I am trying to do the same by attaching an external USB Hard drive to the NAS. Everything works fine. The drive was detected. I was able to create backup jobs for each of the shared folders in the NAS - using differential backup. Drive was formated in FAT32.

But when I checked the backup result, the backup job didn't create the foldername. It just dumps the whole directory under each shared folder to the drive. And when it goes to the next backup job, the whole drive is wiped out and populated with the content from the next shared folder.

I don't know whether it's because of the way I created the shared folder in the NAS. I didn't put all folders under one shared folder ie. /shared/photos, /shared/ebooks, /shared/etc. Instead, I created the shared folders directly ie. /photos, /ebooks, etc...

So when creating the backup job, the source selected is /photos and the backup folder is /usbdisk1, /ebooks to /usbdisk1. And that goes for the rest of the folders. I can't choose a separate folder under /usbdisk1. Could it be that the target backup is the same /usbdisk1 that it overwrites it for each backup job?

What I want to achieve is to dump the contents of /photos, /ebooks in the NAS to /usbdisk1/photos and /usbdisk1/ebooks in the ext. drive respectively.

Any help is appreciated.