Author Topic: LS-CHL deletes very slow  (Read 3117 times)

az_r2d1

• Calf
LS-CHL deletes very slow
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »

I have a lc-chl 1tb which works pretty well overall but there is one thing that is pretty annoying. I used the drive for storage of surveillance pictures, about 1 per second so I get many files. When I try to delete them it goes VERY slow. Like 12 files per second. I see the drive in windows explorer and this is how I delete the files. Any idea why ? This is form windows 7 64 bit machine over gigabit connection. 1 switch. Copying files to the linkstation I get about 15MB speed which is also not as fast as I expected but I can live with.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: LS-CHL deletes very slow
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:25 AM »

when deleting multiple files the Linkstation needs to index each file serperatly, if you are trying to delete 100's / 1000's of small files then the units performance will be reduced considerably.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

daoswald

• Buffalo
Re: LS-CHL deletes very slow
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:23:28 AM »

The issue is the quantity of files, and the overhead involved in deleting them over the network. 

One solution:  Plug a USB drive into your LS-CHL; something cheap and with just enough capacity for your image files.  Route the image files to the USB drive plugged into the LinkStation instead of the LinkStation itself.  That way, when you are ready to delete, you can just reformat the USB drive instead.