Author Topic: HS-DHGL stuck in EM Mode  (Read 8899 times)

Serifim

• Calf
HS-DHGL stuck in EM Mode
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »

Hi, hope someone can help me.

I've had the Link Station (HS-DH320GL) for a year or so and it's worked fine off a Belkin Wireless Router, shared by a variety of PCS using Vista and XP.

My Link Station suddenly disappeared nice, shares vanished and couldn't be reconnected etc.

I couldn't use the Browser Management tool - came up with not found etc

Tried it through a little Netgear Switch and got the same result - so its not my router.

So I came here to find help:

I've installed the Vista Registry thing.

I've installed Nas Nav 2 which tells me my Disc is in EM Mode and I should Update firmware or call tech support.

Downloaded new nice Station to update!

Somewhat stumped now.

What causes EM Mode and is there a way of getting back to normal without data loss?

Thanks.

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DHGL stuck in EM Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »

Em mode is like safe mode.  It runs off the flash so it can protect the data.  The firmware seems to have been corrupted and needs to be reflashed.  Go to the download section and download the most recent version of firmware.

Serifim

• Calf
Re: HS-DHGL stuck in EM Modefunction SWGuardianWindowOpen(){return(null);}
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »

Thanks for that!

I had downloaded what I thought was the correct Firmware but I realized that as I am in the UK I should try the UK downloads and it worked!

Small problem though - I can see the disk and one share but I had a second share on it which I can't find, although judging by the memory allocation bar it would appear to be there.

I thought I might be able to sort this through the Web Admin pages but when I go to them they are not in English, Japanese I think.

Clearly I've downloaded the wrong version of something, is it the firmware or is there a preference somewhere I can change to English?

Thanks again for the help thus far.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:50:39 AM »

Try this and see if it works. 

Try following these steps to change the device back to English:

1. Connect to the web configuration utility by entering the TeraStation's IP address in a web browser.
 2. In the column of blue items on the left hand side, select the second link.
 3. Under the first header are two text fields; enter or modify the text in the second.
 4. Under the third header, the first entry is a radio selection with two options; select the one on the right.
 5. Under the fourth header (with two menu/pulldown boxes beneath it), set both menu boxes to the second entry in the list (the second menu box should say cp437).
 6. Click the button, and close and reopen the browser.

If this does not fix the problem, try to reflash the firmware. If possible, it would be wise to backup any important data in case the firmware update fails due to a power outage or other anomaly. If you have the latest version already, you will need to force the firmware update. To do this, after unzipping the files, create a shortcut to the .exe file. Then, go to the properties of the shortcut and add a space and /force to the very end of the target.

EX: "C:\Buffalo\Firmware\TeraStation\112-103\HD-HTGL FWUpdate.exe" /force

Then run the shortcut to flash the firmware. After flashing the firmware, you'll need to restore the device to factory defaults using the web interface, by following the following steps.

1. Connect to the web configuration utility as before.
 2. In the column of blue items on the left hand side, select the second from bottom link (icon shows wrench and screwdriver).
 3. Under that link, five subcatagory links should show up. Select the fifth link.
 4. Under the second header there is a single buttom; click it.
 5. Click the yes button to start the configuration restore.
 6. This will reset all settings, including ip address and hostname, so you'll need to set the device up as if it was new.
 7. Go through the above steps again to change the language.

Serifim

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »

You're a star!

English langauge web management restored...

Sorry to be a pest but, HDD space used is 45.3gb but visible data in any share is 15gb, I'm unable to access the 30GB of music that was in a shared folder before.

Ran a check disc through the browser and it says its all fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, you've been a great help.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:47 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response.  When you map the drive does it show any of the folders or and of the files?  It seems like possible file corruption.

Serifim

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »

Don't worry about the delay - its the weekend!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had two Shared Folders on the disc, one called Shared (I'm famous for my imagination) and one called Music.

When I got the disc back off EM Mode the Shared folder was there but the Music one had gone, there is no trace of any other files other than the Info and printer folders etc.

I tried a recovery prog but as I can't see the LinkStation as a complete drive, only the shared folders, I couldn't point it in the right direction.

Clealry it knows there's something there it just can't show me it!

Thanks again for your help.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »

Just my advice. These are the ways I've tried.

1. Are you very sure the share folder Muisc is spelled as Music, music or MUSIC?

If you are very sure that you have typed in Music as the name of the previous share folder, you can create a new share folder called Music and click apply.

After that, go to browse folders and see if the Music folder is there, double-click on it and see if your data is inside.

This can be abit risky if you named it wrongly or the name is not the same as what you have named it before, your data will be corrupted or even be lost.

2.Another way to see the Music folder is to take out the drive and plug in to a linux-based system. See the Music folder in linux then copy out the data inside.

Hope these helps! :)

Serifim

• Calf
Re: HS-DHGL stuck in EM Modefunction
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »

Tried the rename thing first and it worked!

Brilliant, you've been a great help Josh (and tanjl) - I'm away to do a very big back up  - just incase!

Thanks again.

hp

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »

Help!!!

I have a HS DH0.0TGL/R5 which is in EM mode.  I have downloaded the firmaward and recieve the message "Updating is Aborting".  My firewall is turned off and anti-virus is turned off.  I have followed the FAQ 2 to force the flash of the firmware and recieve the same error message.  What am I doing wrong.

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »

Try booting into "Safe Mode With Networking" by doing the following:

-Turn on (or reboot) the computer and start tapping the F8 button.

-You should come to a simple menu with the default choice being "Start Windows Normally".

-Move up to "Safe Mode With Networking" and press Enter.

This will load a very basic version of Windows but should bypass security programs and firewalls.

hp

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »

Ok... I have tried to install updater 2.14 and it loads and writes firmware but upon reboot I get the EO4 error Unable to Load Kernel.  I have tried to Force the Write but it still will not read the Kernel.  I thought maybe I had the wrong version and I have tried version1.41-2.66 but it did the same thing.  Why will it not load the Kernal?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »

hp wrote:

Ok... I have tried to install updater 2.14 and it loads and writes firmware but upon reboot I get the EO4 error Unable to Load Kernel.  I have tried to Force the Write but it still will not read the Kernel.  I thought maybe I had the wrong version and I have tried version1.41-2.66 but it did the same thing.  Why will it not load the Kernal?

you dont have a HS-DHGL, start and different post and not here. Try not to hijack a thread.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!