Author Topic: Unable to log into Web Setting "session has expired"  (Read 6689 times)

ruthcatrin

• Calf
Unable to log into Web Setting "session has expired"
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

I realize there are other threads on this, but I was unable to add onto those for some reason so I'm starting my own.

Model: LS WX2.0TL/R1 Firmware: 1.34

Browser: Firefox 3.6.10 Java Console 6.0.21

Operating System: XP Pro SP3

I am unable to log into the Web Setting, it gives me the page to enter user name and pasword, then tells me that the session has expired and sends me back to the log in screen.  Restarting the browser does not work.  Using a different browser (IE 8.0.6) does not work.  I emptied the cookies just on the off chance that was the problem.   Attempting to reboot the Linkstation causes it to reboot into EM mode requiring firmware reinstall, which causes more problems and is very frustrating.  I confirmed that firmware, browser, and java are all up to date.

Edited to add, that turning off the firewall and virus scan does not solve the problem either.

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Unable to log into Web Setting "session has expired"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »

It seems like there is an issue in the firmware.  I would suggest a Force Firmware with the most current version.  The force firmware procedure is the 2of5 FAQ.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:44:28 PM »

So, it is now out of em mode and appears to be working flawlessly except for the fact that the web interface says "session expired" after you log in?  If I am understanding you correctly then all that you can do is force update the firmware.  It sounds like it could possibly be a bad drive as well.

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:51 AM »

Correct.  I've forced update to the current firmware version 4 times now, because it keeps either saying session expired or rebooting into EM mode.

astrialwks

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

If you've flashed the firmware multiple times and the problem persists the unit will likely need to be replaced.  I would give Buffalo Tech Support a call if you're within your warranty.  (866) 752-6210.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »

what options exactly have you enabled on the force update?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »

what options should I be looking for, I dont' recall seeing ANY options other than "update" on the flash updater

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

when you alter the lsupdater.ini file and save it.

Run the lsupdater.exe file on the top left hand you will see a logo (kinda 2 circle rings)

right click this -> Debug, ensure all options on the right are tick and all option on the left are also ticked (apart from rebuild partition table as selecting this option will erase the data, if you have a backup then tick this option also)

Then update the firmware.

Let me know how you get on.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »

I don't get a Debug option, this is what I get when I right click on the logo (this required triggering the EM mode again BTW):

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/ruthcatrin/updater.jpg

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:57:10 PM »

Taken from the FAQs:

Performing a "Force Firmware" Update

There are two ways to update firmware so I'll start with the newer versions first and work back to the older ones.

Performing a firmware update with tsupdater or lsupdater:

1. Download the firmware for your respective unit. If you are unsure of your    model then double check by posting on our forum.
  2. Extract the files on to your desktop.
  3. Open up the tsupdater.ini or lsupdater.ini file (You may not see the "ini"    file extension. It's file type is "Configuration File".) The icon you see will    look like one of the following.

4. (XP Icon.ini file icon for XP) (Vista Icon .ini file icon for Vista)
  5. You should see text closely resembling the following:
    [Application]
    Title = BUFFALOLS-WTGL/R1-V3 Updater Ver.3.09
    WaitReboot = 480
    WaitFormat = 500
    [Target]
    ProductID = 0x00003004>
    Name = LS-WTGL/R1-V3
    [Flags]
    VersionCheck = 1      
  6. You'll want to change the "VersionCheck = 1" value to 0 and then hit    Enter a couple of times to go to new lines and add in the following:
    [SpecialFlags]
    Debug = 1      
  7. Once these changes are made you'll want to save the ini file
  8. Open the tsupdater or lsupdater file with the following icon next to it    (some variations may occur):
  9. The firmware application window will open.  Right click on the title bar    of the firmware update window and choose Debug (D).  The resulting window will pop up:

9.  Make sure the options in your window are checked exactly as shown above

10.  Click OK
11.  Click Update

Passwords and Errors

NOTE: If you are performing a firmware update in normal or EM mode you will be asked to enter the admin password.  In normal mode the admin password should be what you had set it to, however in EM it should default to 'password' (minus apostrophes of course).

If you experience issues such as "ACP_STATE_FAILURE" you can try running the firmware update in Safe Mode with Networking or on another computer. An "ACP_STATE_FAILURE" usually refers to the unit having a defect on the system board.  That in mind I would recommend contacting your regions Technical Support for an RMA as this is usually irreparable. It is rare but sometimes you can manage to pull out of a downward spiral and successfully update the firmware from a different OS.  Please bear in mind though that this is usually a sign that the NAS will fail in time.  If you do manage to recover I would strongly recommend backing up your data to an alternate source as quickly as possible.

Further Information on ACP_STATE_FAILURE (Thank you kevin):

ACP_STATE_FAILURE is an error suggesting that there is not enough rough room (on the flash chip or FW partitions) to update FW. Though, ACP_STATE_PID_FAILURE I believe is failure of the chip and does need to be replaced.

Try Force Updating FW (with unit booted into EM, if that doesn't work then try it normal) in safe mode and its best to re-download (to make sureyou have a good image of it) to another computer. You should have the NAS plugged directly into your computer at first, but I have also seenchanging the connection work. Then also at Step 8, Uncheck UPDATE BOOT and check Delete user config. If you're willing to lose data, also try rebuilding the partition table.

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »

ah, I'd missed that set of instructions, I'll see what happens.

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:33 PM »

Ok, finially had a chance to run that, no errors.  Shall see what happens now!

ruthcatrin

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

That appears to have solved the problem.  thanks guys!!