Author Topic: Lost Network Connectivity to LinkStation H250LAN  (Read 3026 times)

CurtisJ

• Calf
Lost Network Connectivity to LinkStation H250LAN
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »

I have lost the ability to connect to this device on my home LAN. Has been working great for the last year.

Cannot access as a Windows mapped drive or FTP connect for administration. When I try to access as a mapped device recieve message "Network Path Not Found". FTP message - "The connection has timed out", Ping " Request timed out".

I typically have a problem with this device when I lose power in my home -- even momentarily. Usually I just power it back on and everything is fine. This time when I powered it on, it powers up and the network activity light is on, but I can't connect to it or ping it.

I also have USB external hard drive connected to it that I use for additional network attached storage. What are my options for recovery for the H250LAN and the USB attached storage device?

CurtisJ

• Calf
Re: Lost Network Connectivity to LinkStation H250LAN
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

Well, I solved my own problem (while I was on hold on the phone with Buffalo Tech Support). I'll post the resolution in my case. The problem was that my Linkstation was not getting an IP address assignment from the DHCP server in my router. i don't know why since this had been working fine. I confirmed that the MAC address that I specified for the router DHCP reservation list  for my router was correctly specified

Using the default IP address for my LinkStation (192.168.11.150) I was able to use the configuration pages to manually assign an IP address to my LinkStation on my home network.

After assigning the IP address life was good again. Windows drive mapping works, FTP access works and the HTTP web admin interface works. Everything back to normal -- no configuration settings or data lost.

I must have a router glitch (aka bug). I did power cycle my router and network switch when I first saw this problem. But, that did not correct the problem.

For what it's worth my router is a LinkSys E3000 and I use a Netgear FSM700S network switch in my home network. Since I have things working satisfactorily for me now, I don't care to pursue this any further.

This post is like talking to yourself -- but I hope it will help someone else.