Author Topic: LinkStation Duo - Connectivity Issues  (Read 8127 times)

danl256

• Calf
LinkStation Duo - Connectivity Issues
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:04:57 AM »

I have:

-  LinkStation Duo 2TB (LS-WXL?)

-  Firmware version 1.24 (DTCP-IP:1.22-20091015)?

-  Mac OS X 10.6.3

-  Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router : model WNR1000v2

I have a few issues with my new drive:

1)  Every once in awhile the connection will get interrupted.  This happens a few different ways.  Sometimes I'll open a finder window, select my linkstation under the "Shared" pane, it will say "Connecting..." for a few moments and then the drive will disappear from the shared pane.  Sometimes it wont show up under the shared pane at all when I boot my computer up.  Interestingly, I've found that I can still log into the firmware by going to 192.168.etc.etc, and if I go to "Network" --> "Settings" --> "Network Services" --> "AFP" and then click "Save", everything will come back and work fine.  If it wasn't such a pain to have to do that all the time I would, but I feel like its symptomatic of a deeper issue anyway.  Anyone have any insight on this?

2)  If I go to BuffaloNas.com and type in the "name" of my hard drive, it works just fine... but only if I'm connected to the same local network, i.e. BuffaloNas.com will resolve to a 192.168.etc.etc IP address successfully.  Unfortunately, it will not resolve successfully when I am on campus or at work, etc.  Interestingly enough, though, it will resolve to the correct IP issued to my home network's 68.etc.etc.etc IP address.  It just wont retrieve any data at all.  I figure this is a port forwarding issue with my router?  I tried setting it up to have an FTP port forward on port 9000, which then allowed me to enable the firewall, but then I wonder if I should add one on 81 for web access?  Would that do it?

3)  This is more of a question than an issue.  I was hoping there was some way to interact with my hard drive in a sort of "file-sharing" context.  For example, if I wanted to listen to an album I ripped, I'd like to open the playlist file instead of having to play each song one at a time over a web server.  Also, I'd love to drag and drop files for uploading/downloading.  Anything like that possible? 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Duo - Connectivity Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »

1) Try re-initializing the drive via the GUI (don't reformat just re-initialize the settings)

2) Is HTTPS on the BuffaloNAS service setting enabled?

3) I'll send the request to our firmware developers.

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:48:39 AM »

1) Try re-initializing the drive via the GUI (don't reformat just re-initialize the settings)

CHECK!

2) Is HTTPS on the BuffaloNAS service setting enabled?

It was, is no longer.  CHECK!

3) I'll send the request to our firmware developers.

Thanks a lot.

I still can't always see my drive under the Shared panel.  I'm constantly needing to log in as admin and saving the current AFP settings.  Also, still can't access from outside the local network.

Another random issue I have that's really annoying is that the web server will say "404 - Not found", but I can access it by browsing it like a shared folder.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »

Do you have UPnP enabled on your router (if it's capable)?  If not you may need to forward port instructions (via your router) to a specified port that can be set in the Web Access settings on the NAS.  Setting an FTP port to port 9000 won't cut it as TCP and UDP are necessary for the Web Access function to work.  Adding additional ports for access to anything other than files isn't usually recommended for security reasons.  So basically, the reason why you're able to resolve at home via BuffaloNAS is because the request is coming from the same public IP, but when you're outside the network your router is refusing access because the access request is coming from elsewhere.  Hence my recommendation of doing a manual port forward of 9000 (Web Access) and 21 (for FTP access as needed) to help simplify the issue.

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:50:08 AM »

Thanks!  The port forwarding worked for me in accessing it outside of my local network, but it still keeps disappearing from my finder panel.  I was just uploading data to it and it suddenly disconnected.  It usually doesn't interrupt my file transfers, though.  Usually, I will still be able to see and access the shared folders of my device, but the device itself vanishes.  Again, I have to log in, go to Network Settings, "re"-enable AFP, and click Apply.

Also, there are several files that I can access as shared files, but when I try to access it through WebAccess, it says "404 - Not Found".

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »

For the Web Access portion it might have been a problem with the Web Access servers being down for a time.  With the AFP problem I would state to try re-initializing the device and if applicable/possible perform a firmware update.

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:27:50 AM »

I tried "Restore Linkstation."  It reset all of my configurations which was kind of annoying... enabling webaccess, setting up all the user accounts, etc.  Unfortunately, no change.  My firmware is also current.  Strangely, the NASnavi program has yet to even detect my device.  Is that how I'm supposed to re-initialize my device?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »

That's the correct procedure, since the NAS Navi program isn't detecting the drive I'm starting to wonder if there might be firewall interference or if the firmware might be suffering from corruption.  Can you access the file system or the GUI?  If not do you have any firewall software running?

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:27 AM »

I haven't installed any sort of firewall program on my mac.  I can access the file system in the sense that I have uploaded a ton of data and can access it now, even from an outside network. NASnavi doesn't do anything but scan and rescan with no results.  Also, my router does not have the "Enable UPnP" option selected.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »

Have you tried a force firmware update from a PC?

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »

So, I opened Windows XP with Parallels, but the updater program couldn't detect the drive.  Incidentally, my mac's NASnavigator program cant detect the drive either... even when I have it open and the shared drives mounted.  Very strange.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »

Try the EM boot procedure on the NAS first and then the force update.

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »

Tried it, still didn't detect the drive.  I'm getting pretty fed up with this.  Could my drive be defective?  I just don't understand how or why I could have to keep "re-enabling" AFP in the network settings to access the drive. 

danl256

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »

Could Buffalo send me a new casing for my arrays?  Might that even help??

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:30:56 AM »

How many MAC's is this happening from? Is the same thing occuring if you use SMB? Have you tested the LS directly into one of your client?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!