Author Topic: Flashing blue lights on Linkstation Quad 4TB (LS-QL/R5)  (Read 31459 times)

jasontitus

• Calf
Flashing blue lights on Linkstation Quad 4TB (LS-QL/R5)
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

After a power outage the other day, when I started up the Linkstation it startup up w/ the blue light flashing.  I assumed it might be doing an fsck or some such and would be available soon.  Two days later and it is still flashing blue and I can't get a web UI login or have it show up in the Navstation software.

The docs mention various bad things from the flashing blue light but they mention specific counts of flashes.  Mine is just flashing in quick succession without pause.  Anyone have an idea what I can do?  I am hesitant to just restart it in case it is doing a long file system restore or some such.

Thanks for any advice,

Jason

p.s. - No idea of firmware version and I can't log into it, so I don't know.  I bought it a month or two ago and it is the 4TB version.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Flashing blue lights on Linkstation Quad 4TB (LS-QL/R5)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »

jasontitus,

The flashing blue lights that your device is experiencing could be due to the unit not being able to boot into it's operating kernel.  Try shutting down the unit and implementing the following steps:

1. Hold down the Function button while powering the machine on.

2. At this point the Power LED should come on and be blinking.

3. Continue to hold the Function button until the Function LED starts flashing.

4. Release the Function button for 5 seconds and then depress it again for an additional 10 seconds.  The Power LED should go solid after about 60 seconds from there.

5. If you can locate the NAS using the NAS Navi found here then download the latest firmware for this device here and save it to your desktop.

6. Once download extract the files on to your desktop and run the lsupdater.exe (make sure your firewalls and AV are disabled).

7. If all goes well you should be able to access the LS-Q via web interface and file sharing.  If not then let us know here.

Hope this helps.

jasontitus

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
   When I rebooted I could see the device w/ NASNavigator and hit the web UI.  It says it is 'Checking RAID array 1' and has about 30 hours to go.  I assume I should let it finish before trying to upgrade the firmware from 1.02 to 1.04, right?

jasontitus

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »

When I start it up holding the function key, the function LED starts flashing, but not the power LED.  After 5 seconds I let go, wait 10 seconds and press it again.  At that point the power light starts flashing as well and they go on like that for a while whether I hold in the button or not.  I have tried varying the amount of time I wait to hold the function button down again and it seems to make no difference.  I can never get the power light to come on solid blue.

Interestingly, if I wait a while I can login again while it tried to fix the raid array.  But eventually it will start flashing the blue light after 30 minutes or so and becomes unresponsive.

Any advice?  Is it alright for me to try and upgrade the firmware while it is checking the raid array? 

jasontitus

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »

Now I have upgraded the firmware to 1.04 and it starts up fine, but it is still checking the raid array and after about 30 minutes or so it just seems to shutdown on most things.  The blue power light is on solid, but the green lights all turned off and it no longer shows up on the web UI (404 Not Found error) or the NAS Navigator.  I assume it has overloaded or some such.  Interestingly, if I hit the power button it shuts itself off fully after a couple of minutes.  When I restart it, it seems to pick up where it left off on the check (now at 16% after 3 cycles of this).

My data looks like it is still there, but it will take forever to restart it enough times to finish the full check at this rate....

Any ideas? 

gerar

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »

I have mine 4 TB linkstation for a few months now but i have a problem.

When I manually switched on the unit as it did not start via the network wakeup the indicator light started flashing 4 times indication a disk check of disk 1.

Unfortunately i had to go away and turned of the unit.

Does anybody know how long the disk check will take and if this is normal for a few months old unit.

szimbler

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »

Same problem. Continuous flashing blue light, no response from NasNavi, very hot case, couldn't even switch it off normally, so had to pull the plug!

When I plugged back in it took ages to come back to life, but now seems fine...for the moment.

However...

This is my second Quad as the first failed and took all my data with it. This one has worked fine for 6 months. It has a dedicated UPS to help keep things nice and smooth.

If this Quad fails too then I will be LIVID! Once is an accident. Twice means something else entirely in my book!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »

Which firmware version are you running?  Furthermore, I would recommend backing up your data if you feel it's in danger of failure.  Once may be an accident and twice another thing entirely, but lost data is the same in either scenario.  Make multiple backups of your important data.  Please post back as to which firmware you're running and I'll see what I can do to help.

keaveny

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

Really, really desperate to recover my hard disk, it appears to have failed tonight and i have no way of recovering it... can anyone lend any assistance PLEASE!!! If the unit is dead so be it, but I need to get access to about 200 baby photos that I have stored on the unit since my boy was born... please can someone assist.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Tony

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »

I've already responded to your post regarding the current situation with our FTP site.  Please don't double post into other threads when you have already started one.

adon

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »

mine unit also have this problem after power failure, follow your steps but both blue light keep flashing whole day and still can not work, pls help. thanks.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »

If you read the bottom of the TFTP procedure you will note that would be the last recommendation I could make for helping.  We have the FAQs for a reason.  These are procedures for recovery of problems such as this.  Contact your regional tech support for an RMA if you're still in warranty.  If you're not I apologize.

szimbler

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 02:13:09 AM »
I was just looking for an explanation of why my 4TB quad was flashing blue continously, when I found the same question posted over 5 years ago...by me! I have no memory of this. But I thought I should say that 5 years on I'm on the same 4 HDs in the same quad. That can't be bad, can it?

Of, and I fixed my blue light problem pretty much like ti did it last time, I guess. I pulled the plug and switched it on. Everything seems fine.

My fingers are crossed for another 5 years!

hughmacph

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »
<p>jasontitus,</p><p> </p><p>   The flashing blue lights that your device is experiencing could be due to the unit not being able to boot into it's operating kernel.  Try shutting down the unit and implementing the following steps:.....(snip)
Sorry to quote from a 7 yr old thread, but just to report that this process still works for my Linkstation Quad 4TB (LS-QL/R5) last night. Done exactly as it said on the tin above, and ran the updater exe and the firmware is refreshed. All files & data still intact.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:11:56 AM by hughmacph »