Author Topic: Managing 'trashbox' for a Buffalo LS-W1.0TGL/R1  (Read 29136 times)

goldensvcs

• Calf
Managing 'trashbox' for a Buffalo LS-W1.0TGL/R1
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »

Hello!  Is there a way to manage the 'trashbox' folder for a Buffalo LS-W1.0TGL/R1?  I use it only for backups and have it in a RAID configuration (2-500 GB drives).  I really don't need the 'trashbox' at all, so short of manually deleting the contents on a regular basis, was hoping that there was a better way.  Don't see anything about it in the docs.

Thoughts, anyone?  Many thanks!

-Bill

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Managing 'trashbox' for a Buffalo LS-W1.0TGL/R1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »
log into the web interface, you can edit a the share folder and disable the trash box. 

goldensvcs

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »

I logged into the web interface and looked around, but see no reference to the trashbox.  So, I went to the Shared Folder in question, Shared Folder Support, and unchecked the Disk Backup box.  Then, I deleted the trashbox folder from the Shared Folder.  I then ran a test backup job and a trashbox folder was not re-created.  I will continue to monitor, but it looks like I'm good to go.  Thanks for your help!

-Bill

goldensvcs

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

Bad news.  Unchecking the Disk Backup box did not help.  My trashbox folder has reappeared.  Do you have more specific information as to how I can manage the trashbox?   Thanks!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:18:30 AM »

Log onto the web interface -> Shared folders -> Select the individual shared folder => Disable Recycle Bin and click apply. Easy

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

goldensvcs

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »

Got it.  Don't know how I missed that before.  Thanks!

-Bill

sahchin

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »

hello, a rookie here..  what is the function of the trashbox.  an imortant file at work has mysteriously disappeared and the "trahsbox" has appeared.  Probably unrelated.  but anyways, back to original question.  what is the purpose of the trashbox and how does turning it either on or off affect the drive?

willsmike

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:06 AM »

Hi rookie,

(Don't feel bad. We all are rookies, quite often!)

It sounds as if the deleted files should be in that trashbox.  Did you attempt to open the trashbox and see if it's there?

I just did almost the same thing. Deleted files, then realized my mistake, and now find that the trashbox had been disabled. So I've enabled it. But I don't see the trashbox anywhere. I deleted a throwaway file. Still no trashbox shows up.

Where do you see the trashbox? Does it show up as a folder within the Share folder, when you're looking at it with Windows Explorer (or whatever operating system file browser you're using)?

Hope this helps...even though it's been six months since you posted.

Cheers,

mike

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

General explanation of the trashbox is that it is a function that can be enabled for each individual share folder (so you can have some root folders that have it and some that don't at your discretion).  The fun thing with NAS devices is that usually when you delete a file from them it will not be moved to a repository (such as the Recycle Bin), but instead completely deleted.  That's where the Recycle Bin/trashbox comes into play.  In case you deleted that extra important document, folder, etc. it will be retained in the trashbox folder until you manually access it and delete the data contained within.  The trashbox folder usually doesn't even need to be accessed to pick and choose what you want to delete, but instead you can delete the folder altogether and voila it's done.  However, the trashbox doesn't show up again until you have chosen to delete data in that root folder once again.  I understand that explanation could probably be a little more concise, but that's as good as it gets.  Hope this helps :robotvery-happy:

MisterT

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »

Hi Folks,

I have a Linkstation Duo 2* 1TB and the trashbox has filled up my HD completely. I have carefully read the posts but not sure if I overlooked something.

I also do not see the trashbox folder in the web interface.

In Shared Folder I see only Shared Folders Setup and Services Setup.

The only shared folder names I can see are info and backup (RAID array 1).

Any help or recommendation that can be given would be highly appreciated.

MisterT

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:25:13 AM »

Pls disregard last message - found it - solved it. Thanks!

mhornung

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
I was wondering if there was any way to limit the size of trashbox? I like the concept of being able to retrieve content that may have been deleted accidentally, but I don't like the fact that the trashbox can grow to full disk capacity. It would be nice to have either a date or size cut off. That is, delete everything after 30 days. Or delete the oldest content when the size reaches 400GB, for example.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I was wondering if there was any way to limit the size of trashbox?

Unfortunately not.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

CMDL

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
On Terastation III and may be the same for other products, when you setup a backup job there are options, one of which is "Exclude trash boxes from backup target". So I assume the destination will not have  trash folders copied to or created,  so not needing to keep removing them. Hope this helps.