Author Topic: Terastation Live maximum HD upgrade capacity?  (Read 5731 times)

mrfootlong

• Calf
Terastation Live maximum HD upgrade capacity?
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

Hi everyone. First off I know I am going to get told to Google it, look in the solved section/seach the forum etc and I assure you that I have done this. I have also contacted Buffalo tech support directly first and they have said that they don't support it/warranty void but they have tested with 4x1TB and that works. Ideally I would like to bigger drives in there if possible.

I have read 1 or 2 posts across the web where users state/claim that they have fitted 4x1.5tb or 2tb drives in without issue. As these drives aren't cheap, I really want clarification of exactly what I can fit in MAX that will work perfectly please :). The unit I have is a Terastation Live HS-DH1.0TGL/R5. The boss tells me that if whatever drives I buy don't work, they will come out of my pocket :(

Thanks,

Nick.

mrfootlong

• Calf
Re: Terastation Live maximum HD upgrade capacity?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

Please, anyone? 'sniff'

chris0583

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »

I have 4 1.5 TB Samsung drives in my TSpro II and they work great.  I would of went to 2 TB but they were too much $$$.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:51:49 PM »

The is no known size but 2tb should work.

mrfootlong

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »

Right, took the plunge and ordered 4 Hitachi 2TB HDS722020ALA330 drives. First I ran the Hitachi Feature Tool 2.11 (heard on the eweb that 2.13 onwards didn't work with this drive so didn't bother checking) on each drive and enabling acoustic management at 128 setting.

Deleted all the shares that I could off the Terastation via web manager then shut down. Had already deleted the array so was running single drive config on all 4 existing drives. Removed drives 2,3 and 4 at the same time and replace these 3 with the 2tb drivess. System booted, then flagged up error lights about the drives but simply went in to the web manager and formatted 2 then 3 then 4 and all errors went away. Powered down, swapped drive 1 with the last new Hitachi and fired up. Got the error light on the drive but again went in and formatted, all perfect. Have told it to go off and build the RAID5 array with the 4 drives and it is doing it currently. Kiss goodbye to 2 days lol! I have pasted in a grab of the status page for anyone interested.

RAID Array Information

RAID Array 1

Status
Checking (  0.3 % Complete)

Time Remaining
2702.8 Minute

RAID Mode
RAID5
Disk Structure
Disk 1, 2, 3, 4

Total Capacity
5,856,332,224 kbytes (5585.03 GB)

Amount Used
39,132 kbytes (0.04 GB)

Percent Used
0.00 %

File Format
XFS
So there you have it, all workin, yey :)
Cheers,
Nick.

W0JT

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »

Is it really necessary to do the 3 drives first and then add the fourth drive? I was thinking of just pulling out all four drives and replacing them all at once, then buliting my RAID5 array.  I was thinking that if I pulled out all 4 drives, then maybe the Terastation could not boot. But if the 4 drives are currently configured as RAID5, and I pull out 3 of them, the single remaining drive will be unable to provide any data that were part of the RAID5 array. Maybe the boot information is on all 4 drives in a partition that is separate from the partition where the RAID arrays are built?

mrfootlong

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 03:01:46 AM »

"Had already deleted the array so was running single drive config on all 4 existing drives"

I believe that a small part of each drive is partitioned with the boot bits but I could be wrong. Doing the drive swapping/formatting bit is quick. It is only when you then configure it as RAID5 and it goes off and creates it that it takes forever.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »

yes, the boot sector FWs are on a drive partition on each drive.