Author Topic: Having trouble restarting Terastation Live HS-DH2.0TGL/R5 (firmware 2.14)  (Read 3171 times)

oscarvogel

• Calf

Terastation won't shut down. I can't logon to web interface. NasNavi doesn't detect it. Can't ping it. I pressed the power button for approximately 7 second until I heard a little 1 second beep. That made all the LEDs turn off. It did not shut down the system. The Status LCD display appears as it normally does.

Before I pressed the power button causing all LEDs to turn off, the Link/Act light was on and sometimes flickered. Of coarse the LED next to the power button was on. None of the Access or Fail lights were on. Now none of the LEDs are on. The LCD screen shows the IP address that I had configured (not the default).

A couple of days ago we had a power outage that shut down the Terastation.  I then turned it back on and assumed everything was OK.  But yesterday I discovered that  I'm not able to connect to it.

By the way, my other Terastation Live has been stuck in the  process of running it's nightly backup to the bad Terastation for the last several days. I've read the KB article regarding stopping a backup by rebooting into EM mode.  I haven’t done that yet.  Could that be why the bad Terastation won't shut down?

Anyway, I just want to see if restarting it will fix it or at least allow me to boot into EM.  But I don't want to make things worse by rebooting improperly.  

So should I

-unplug it from the wall?

-unplug the power cord from the NAS?

-Stop the other Terastations backup before trying to restart the bad Terastation?

-or is there something else that I can try?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: How to restart Terastation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

You will need to hold the power button for approx 5-6 seconds or until you hear a little chirp from the unit.  To boot into EM mode press and hold the button located behind the door under the LCD while powering on, you can let go after 6 seconds.  The method of EM booting should enable the unit to be discovered for a force firmware update  http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-4-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11011;jsessionid=AFE0A8B849C9EAA367BF642DD5104EBC

oscarvogel

• Calf
Re: How to restart Terastation
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »

I updated my post while you were answering my original post.

After reading your response I pressed the power button again and it immediately rebooted.  So I didn't get a chance to boot into EM. 

But everything seems to be working fine.  I'm going to double check now and is all is A-OK I'll come back and mark this solved. 

Thanks!

(But still wondering why it rebooted instead of shut down.  Especially since I will probably still need to shut down the other Terastation so that I can boot into EM and stop the backup.)