Author Topic: Rebuilding Array: 24hrs and Counting  (Read 4399 times)

patrick80

• Calf
Rebuilding Array: 24hrs and Counting
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »

Hi,

more than 24hrs ago, my Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-W1.0TGL/R1) notified me about a R/W error on disk 2 of array 1. I triggered a disk check, which finished with the message "disk check finished successfully". I thought, before buying a replacement drive, I could try and see if it is was just a temporary problem and started rebuilding array 1. After some minutes the rebuilding stopped due to a R/W error. I then repeated the procedure (Disk Check -> OK -> Start Rebuilding). The second try stopped again.

A third try seemed promising: The Linkstation started rebuilding the array. The process has already been running for more than 24hrs. At first, everything looked normal: I was able to track the progress in the web admin and the shares were still accessible on my Windows machine. Then, some hours later, the Web Admin stopped serving HTTP requests and the shared folders became unavailable. The Linkstation is still available on the network, though (I tried to ping it), and the LEDs are still telling me that it's rebuilding the array (I18 and the green LEDs and sounds are saying "writing").

Nevertheless, as I lost contact to the linkstation through the web admin more than 24hrs ago, I am starting to get nervous: How long would it usually take the Linkstation to perform a full rebuild on its 500GB capacity (I think I had 180 GB in use)? Is it "normal" that the web admin and shares stop being available during th rebuild?

Thank you for any hints,

Patrick

P.S.: I read numerous other posts, but I could not find any indication of how long the process could possibly take for this model.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Rebuilding Array: 24hrs and Counting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »

A raid rebuild can take up to 1 day per terabyte to fully rebuild the array properly

patrick80

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »

Thank you for the response. Since the array has a capacity of 500GB and it's already in I18-mode for over 48hrs, it looks like the system hangs. As I do not want to crash the second disk: Is there a "safe" way to reboot the system?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »

You can try to hold the power button down.  But the unit will finish its process before it shuts down, otherwise just pulling the plug will stop the process, but upon re-power up most likely will continue its process

patrick80

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

AngelsAbyss, thank you. I first tried to switch it off. But as you said, the Linkstation did not react as it was still in its process of repairing the array for ever. I then pulled the plug and after re-powering it, the web server and the shares became available again. I will now order a replacement drive - just in case...

Thanks!