Author Topic: Receiving SMB username and password after NTFS format  (Read 3962 times)

GeneA

• Calf
Receiving SMB username and password after NTFS format
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »

Just purchased a Drivestation USB/Lan HD-CE1.0TLU2-AP. It is on a very small home network, 4 computers. I am running XP Pro.

With the Drivestation connected to my Computer (XP Pro station USB) I formatted using windows format to NTFS. After formatting Properties showed it indeed was NTFS.

Switched to LAN

Under My Network Places and my Workgroup I see the drive. I had already made it part of my workgroup through the DriveNav software on CD.

When I go to access it so I can map it - It ask for SMB username and password. Now I am lost.

I primarily bought this to store image and file backups. 

One other problem I had was I went to register the unit and I input the serial number and it said it was invalid.  This is right out of the box unit.

Thanks for any help

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Receiving SMB username and password after NTFS format
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »

The device will not function properly under NTFS, the unit needs to be in FAT32 to work across the LAN

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

To solve the issue, this is what you need to do, but copy any sensitive data off the device first as the reformat will delete anything on the drive.

1. Switch the drive to USB mode and attach it to the computer.
  2. In Windows Disk Manager – DELETE THE NTFS PARTITION on the  drive.  The drive should now show as Unallocated  Space
  3. Shut down the DS Flexnet.
  4. Reboot the DS Flexnet.  After it’s had 30 seconds to spin up,  push the button on the front to switch it to LAN mode (the light on the  front should be green once the button is pressed).
  5. Run the DriveNavi.exe on the installation CD.  Click on “Options” at the bottom of the screen, and then “Browse Settings Page.”
  6. A browser should open up and the web interface for the FlexNet  should load.  If it doesn’t, go back to the Drive Navi tool and click  the “View Information” button there to find the LinkStation’s IP address  and connect manually with a browser.
  7. In the Web Interface, click on Disk Management on the left  column, then “Format Disk.”  This will restore the original FAT32  partition to the drive as well as the Share folder that it needs to be  network-accessible.

GeneA

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:00:29 AM »

Thanks