Author Topic: Creating (enabling) a recycle bin... but where is it?  (Read 3006 times)

willsmike

• Calf
Creating (enabling) a recycle bin... but where is it?
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:52 AM »

Hi folks,

I did one of those classic dumb things... deleted files off of my Terastation HD/T1.0 GL/GR1.05, firmware version 1.12, RAID 5 system; had about 50 files in a folder in a folder in a SHARE folder, that I then discovered had the factory default of "recycle bin disabled."  Which, as a network file server, is ... pretty dumb of me to have left it set that way for several years now!

So, I went in to the maintenance page, and set ENABLE. Logged off the Terastation. Looked in my Windows 7 network directory / Windows Explorer view, and I cannot seem to find a recycle bin or Trashbox anywhere on the system.

I have powered the Terastation off/on (the nightly ritual), and this morning... still no recycle bin. 

So: where should it be showing up? How do I recover files from it? How do I clean it out? And is there a new version of the users manual that covers this information?

Many thanks,

Mike

willsmike

• Calf
Re: Creating (enabling) a recycle bin... I found it!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:46:28 AM »

Sorry, everybody, but I do feel like seven kinds of ninny-hammer today...  I let myself be misled by Windows Vista/7's unwillingness to update the folder tree in Explorer, unless you poke it in the eye with a sharp stick A LOT, and ... there's the trashbox, complete with deleted files in it, just like I hoped I would see.

If only I'd done this the day before yesterday... oh well.  C'est la guerre!

Back to sleep, all.

mike