Author Topic: TFTP Image...  (Read 3344 times)

yorkshiregrit

• Calf
TFTP Image...
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »

I am having some issues after updating my firmware on a Linkstation LS-CHL 500 - I can't seem to get the device to go into EM in order to update the firmware again so want to try a TFTP boot - the instructions all say that the files can be downloaded here

ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/nas-recovery/

but I am getting nothing when I visit that address - just a page not found error? Is it my mahcine or is th FTP site down?

Alex

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: TFTP Image...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »

Looks like your machine.  Used FireFox and it loaded fine.  Are you using IE?  Try using FireFox.

yorkshiregrit

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »

looks like it was the machine i was using - managed to download the file i needed (I think) TFTP_Boot_Recovery_LS-CHL_1.06.exe

Having unzipped that and run the TFTP exe up on my machine I can get the Linkstation to request the files as it should do but then nothing seems to happen?

I am booting the Linkstation, getting the E06 flashing lights on the unit and then pressing the FUNCTION button for 5 seconds to initiate the TFTP requests.

Am I missing something? NasNavi will still not see the device (it is connected directly to my pc with a crossover cable and seems to be working when requesting the filesfrom the TFTP server?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »

After the TFTP serves the blocks it will put the unit into EM mode.  You will need to flash the firmware.  See if the updater can find the unit.  There is no need for a crossover cable.  Directly connect the unit Via ethernet cable.

yorkshiregrit

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »

Seems I was being too impatient waiting for the unit to enter EM mode! Either that or it took a few goes for the blocks to transfer and kick in on the unit?

Eitherway the device eventually appeared in NasNavi as in EM mode and I was able to force the firmware that previously worked back onto the device and all is now well again - NAS back on the network, data all still available and no damage done!

I am a very relieved chap right now - thought I had bricked the NAS at one point tonight! Thanks for your help JoshC it was much appreciated!

Alex