Author Topic: HS-DHGL stuck in EM mode, hostname "HS-DHGL-EM393"  (Read 6050 times)

jkallman

• Calf
HS-DHGL stuck in EM mode, hostname "HS-DHGL-EM393"
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »

I am writing about my Linkstation Live HS-DHGL 500 GB.  Just recently, the device has become unreachable on the network.  

1. I can ping the device with a successful reply
  2. I can attempt to access the Web interface, and the title of the browser Window does change to "LinkStation" and my browser redirects to http://<my_IP_address>/cgi-bin/top.cgi, but then it results in an empty browser page.
  3. In the NAS Navigator, it shows the hostname as "HS-DHGL-EM393", and it shows the device in EM mode.
  4. When I try to use LSUpdater to update the firmware, LSUpdater just grays out the window and hangs forever after I click the "Update" button.

I realize this product is out of warranty, but I wanted to see if there was any way I can recover this device.  I don't necessarily care about the contents of the drive, I just want the device to work.  I have to guess that "EM393" is indicative of some error code or failure.  Does anyone know what this means?

Thank you in advance.

Joel

jenquist

• Calf
Re: HS-DHGL stuck in EM mode, hostname "HS-DHGL-EM393"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »

I'm having the exact same problem although I believe my hostname is a bit different.  This is my third go around getting this unit out of em mode and it's getting a bit old.

Anyway.  I'll get some of my detail up tomorrow and if I find a solution I will post it.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »

When the unit goes into EM-Mode it has lost the firmware and needs to be reflashed.  If the unit is in Em mode it should have a default IP address of 192.168.11.150.  If the unit is on your network and its giving you that error it can  either be firewalls, antivirus or you are on a diffrent subnet as the unit.  The best way I found to get around that issue is by directly connecting the unit to your PC via ethernet and setting a static IP address on your NIC to something on the same subnet (192.168.11.155).  If the unit is not showing the 11.150 and showing something else then still set it static on the same subnet.  Make sure all firewalls and anti-virus is shut down completley, also make sure that you downloaded the firmware hardwired into your router.  You should be able to run the update from there.  If not then try the Force Firmware Procedure FAQ 2of3. 

jkallman

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »

Thank you both for your responses.  I've really tried everything possible.  I:

1) Booted my Windows machine into Safe Mode with Networking (which disabled any normal startup programs, including my anti-virus).  I also ensure that the Windows firewall was turned off.

2) Connected my computer the the drive via a crossover cable.

3) I'm able to bring it up in EM mode.  

4) I can ping it.  

It's like the drive can boot but then cannot mount any volumes on the physical hard drive itself.

LSUpdater can find my drive (and there's no warning to shut off the firewall, as I disabled the firewall).  But when I click the 'Update' button, the whole window of LSUpdater is grayed out - the only thing that is clickable is 'Quit'.

Joel

jenquist

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »

As I am back in front of the unit now I am having the same problems. 

Laptop connected via crossover cable, Laptop ip of 192.168.11.2, subnet of 255.255.255.0.  Widows firewall disabled, antivirus off. 

I also can find the Unit with both NasNavi and lsupdater but again, when you try to update the unit nothing happens except everything except quit is grayed out and occasionally even quit is grayed out and I am forced to end the program.  While lsupdate is unresonsive the is no network activity on my laptop or the Nas itself.

Only thing different is that my hostname is HS-DHGL-EM8A6.

What cause this situation for me was that I had no access to the web admin so I flashed to 2.21 firmware, I thought sucessfully, and the updater just never found the Unit after the update.  Eventually it came back in EM mode.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »

Did you try the force firmware procedure on the FAQ's?  ACP stated commander is not condoned on this forum please refrain from posting about it.

jkallman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

Hello,

Yes - I attempted to try to force the firmware upgrade, per FAQ 2 of 3.   Changed VersionCheck to 0 and Debug to 1.  Ran LSUpdater (for 2.21-0.83), ensure that the "Force Update" checkbox was checked.  Same result - everything is grayed out except the 'Quit' button.

Thanks again.

Joel

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »

Did you by any chance download the firmware wirelessly?  It does not sound like its the unit giving you the problems but something with the updater software.

jkallman

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »

Thanks again for your response.  I believe I can conclude that this was a problem with a defective disk itself.  

I fortunately had another 1GB SATA disk that I could use to replace it in my Linkstation.  I realize this voids the warranty, but I was already out of warranty.  

I followed the instructions to TFTP boot, and then forced a firmware update to 2.21.  After trying this a couple times and letting the Linkstation work away for many minutes with the Info light flashing (presumably formatting the new disk), I was back in business.  Everything was reset on the device back to factory defaults - default password, DHCP, etc., but I was delighted that I was able to recover the device itself.

Thanks again for all your help.

Joel