Author Topic: Can't set up RAID 1 in my Linkstation Duo  (Read 4706 times)

jukka

• Calf
Can't set up RAID 1 in my Linkstation Duo
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »

Hello,

Just set up my new Linkstation Duo 2T (LS-WX2.0L/R1). By default, it seems to use RAID 0. I wanted to change it to RAID 1 as is shown in user manual. However, my web client has slightly different menu view as then manual. [System]->[Storage] page's "RAID Array (Array 1)" section has a "Delete RAID Array" button and no "Create Raid Array" button nor check boxes in fron of the Disk1 and Disk2 rows.

I even deleted my Array just to see if I can then create a new one but no.

1) Linkstation Duo 2T (LS-WX2.0L/R1)

2) 1.22 (DTCP-IP:1.22-20091015)

3) Wireless network

Do you get the picture?

BR,

/Jukka Peltola

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Can't set up RAID 1 in my Linkstation Duo
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »

When a RAID is reconfigured to a different architecture the drives have to be formatted anyway.  If you have placed data on the NAS already you'll have to back it up first then reconfigure the RAID.  The reason you only see the "Delete RAID Array" is because both disks are currently in RAID0.  You'll need to delete the standing array before you can have RAID 1 between the two drives setup.  Hope this helps.

jukka

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »

Ok, thanks. I thought I tried that already, but now I removed the Array 1 again and it actually disappeared (logical). And now it allowed me to create a new RAID array, just like in the manual.

BR,

Jukka

kaichu

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »

I actually have pretty much the same basic problem as Jukka, so I don't think there's any need for a new thread.

I also tried deleting the existing array (four times, with two different browser, though I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it), but it doesn't seem to work.

It pops up the confirmation window and asks the number, after which it starts deleting the array.

Then up comes a screen where it says "changing the raid array", progress is stuck on 5% and after a half a minute or so it says the session

has expired and asks me to login again.

After logging in there's still no change in the raid array option, only the existing data has vanished. So basically it only formats the hard drive.

Any help at all is appreciated.

edit:

ah yeah, forgot: the device is LS-WX2.0TL/R1, firmware 1.22, and network is LAN

kaichu

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »

For a moment there it seemed like I would manage it.

I rebooted the NAS and was able to remove original array.

But after trying to create a new one... Well, the problem is the same as when I

first tried to delete the array. It asks confirmation etc,  then it timeouts, and

the red error light starts flashing (which it didn't do while trying to delete it).

After a new reboot the original array is back up again.

This can't really be this hard, can it?

Btw, the manual tells me that I have three options regarding the use of RAID.

RAID0, RAID1 and the normal mode, where each HD is considered as an independent

disk, thus allowing the use of the whole 2TB, without the risk of losing everything, if only

one of them breaks down. But while trying desperately to get at least RAID 1 working,

I couldn't figure out how to "turn off" RAID completely.

The manual tells me to create a RAID array after selecting unallocated array, but the GUI only allows me to create a new array after I check both the disks and choose either RAID0 or RAID1 from the drop-down menu.

abl996

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

I have exactly the same problem as described here, with the 20% progress indicator and then a dropped session etc.  The manual is near useless and some images don't even match my UI.   I appear to have the latest firmware 1.24 (although my model number doesn't match any on the Buffalo support forum) and a rom flash utility doesn't appear to be included on install cd.  Burn't 2 hours on this already for what should be 10 mins...

All in all, pretty dissappointed so far.

Any help much appreciated.