Author Topic: Vista doesn't like Linkstation Live LS-CH1.0TL - Samba issue??  (Read 10110 times)

MrMe

• Calf

I've recently got a Linkstation Live which has worked fine with my Xbox360 and one of my laptops (XP).

The other laptop (vista) has returned from getting the hard drive replaced and seems to be having problems access the files on the Linkstation - but I should point out every other aspect on the machine is fine.

It knows it's there, lists all 3 shares and lists the folders - BUT, when I try and open a folder that contains files it says that it can't be found or that I may not have rights to access it or just hangs for ages.

I've tried updating the firmware but the problem persists.

It works fine when the laptop in question is connected by wire to the network.

Anyone have any ideas?

Message Edited by MrMe on 04-08-2009 10:35 AM
I've been digging around and it seems that loads of NAS devices have/had the same or at least very similar issues. Everyone seems to be pointing to linux/samba versions on the NAS devices - so if this is the case when is it getting updated...
 Otherwise I'll be on the phone to Buffalo to get my moneyback! 
Message Edited by MrMe on 04-08-2009 05:06 PM

zeecue

• Calf
Re: Vista doesn't like Linkstation Live LS-CH1.0TL - Samba issue??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:19:32 AM »

Hi

I have similar problems with both Windows 7 and Vista, on 5 different pces.

The windows explorer windows simply freeze, and if it can "talk" to the LS-CHL they will open the folder after about 1 minute, if not the windows will simply keep freeze and lastly windows says the program need to be closed.

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »

Yep,

It's getting really frustrating now - seems to be a problem with windows rather than Buffalo tech as other makes seem to have similar problems.

Works fine wired but not really the point in having a wireless PC!

My vision of automatic and seemless backups are fading fast.

Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this stupid problem!?!?!?

jeffla

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »

How have you mapped your shares?  For me, if I take a look at the mapped drive settings for my Z: drive(which is a media folder on the linkstation) are \\192.168.20.108\media or my Y: backup drive/share is \\192.168.20.108\backup

If it works wired but not wireless that suggest to me a firewall issue. Depending on your firewall software, try disableing it temp and see if that makes a difference.

Are your network discovery/file sharing settings setup correctly?

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

jeffla wrote:

How have you mapped your shares?  For me, if I take a look at the mapped drive settings for my Z: drive(which is a media folder on the linkstation) are \\192.168.20.108\media or my Y: backup drive/share is \\192.168.20.108\backup

If it works wired but not wireless that suggest to me a firewall issue. Depending on your firewall software, try disableing it temp and see if that makes a difference.

Are your network discovery/file sharing settings setup correctly?

I did have the media drive mapped (and do have them mapped successfully on an XP Laptop) but when Vista tried to access it and then decides it isn't available it disconnected the mapped drive and won't reconnect.

Firewall seems to be ok - same software on all PCs in house and the Vista one is the only one with issues (windows firewall is off).

As for network discovery and file sharing - I think so! Could you give me more info?

I tried navigating to the folders via \\192.168.1.64\media which worked but.... when i try to open another folder (actually containing files rather than just folders) the explorer window just hangs after a while the returns an error message.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »

Network discover/file sharing is enabled in the "Network and Sharing Center". If you're unsure how to find it in Vista I usually find it easiest to just type that into the Search bar above the Start button:

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:39:18 AM »
   Ah, I thought you meant some hidden option - everything is enabled in the network centre except printer sharing as I haven't installed any yet.... Still no fix :-(

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
Which Vista version are you running so I can recommend an appropriate next suggestion?

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »

Dustrega wrote:
Which Vista version are you running so I can recommend an appropriate next suggestion?

That might help eh! Vista Home Premium - I;ve seen a couple of threads relative to secpol.msc which isn't in home premium but I downloaded a toolkit from MS which gives access to change the ntml(?) or whatever settings....that didn't work either!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
Hm, doesn't sound like a fix I would recommend however for users that don't have access to secpol.msc I usually suggest they try this download to update their OS registry. Not sure if you've tried this I didn't see it in your posts but this is the last shot I've got. Then I'll have to research into this more ;)

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »

Dustrega wrote:
Hm, doesn't sound like a fix I would recommend however for users that don't have access to secpol.msc I usually suggest they try this download to update their OS registry. Not sure if you've tried this I didn't see it in your posts but this is the last shot I've got. Then I'll have to research into this more ;)

Just tried that and still nothing different. If you could look into this it'd be appreciated. There isn't something simple that I've overlooked though is there?

crazy4ker

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »

I had a problem with vista (on my laptop) compared to XP (on my PC). I had to allow interactive filtering on my firewall so that I could create rules to allow the drive to work. I also had to upgrade the firmware. Do something similar with anti-virus. What are you using?

Can you see the drive on NASNavigator?

I assume you can login to the drive via internet explorer. Then add a couple of users and give full read/write access as there is a known problem with multiple users.

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:18 AM »

crazy4ker wrote:

I had a problem with vista (on my laptop) compared to XP (on my PC). I had to allow interactive filtering on my firewall so that I could create rules to allow the drive to work. I also had to upgrade the firmware. Do something similar with anti-virus. What are you using?

Can you see the drive on NASNavigator?

I assume you can login to the drive via internet explorer. Then add a couple of users and give full read/write access as there is a known problem with multiple users.

Security software is McAfee and is on all the PCs in the house. No issues with it when connected using ethernet so I'd assume it'd be the same via wireless...

NASNavigator does see the drive as normal but can't log on the admin on the laptop via wireless - laptop seems to get bored waiting for page to load!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »
MrMe, if the issue is only with wireless connection, it makes sense that the issue is with either the wireless router or the wireless card. Try updating the wireless drivers on your laptop, and make sure you have the latest firmware for your wireless router. You may also be experiencing wireless interference... try disabling any 2.4 GHz cordless phones and change the channel on your router.

MrMe

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:51 AM »

Colin137 wrote:
MrMe, if the issue is only with wireless connection, it makes sense that the issue is with either the wireless router or the wireless card. Try updating the wireless drivers on your laptop, and make sure you have the latest firmware for your wireless router. You may also be experiencing wireless interference... try disabling any 2.4 GHz cordless phones and change the channel on your router.

I hadn't thought about interferance but then the other 2 PCs in the house are all connecting via wireless and have no issues - I tried your suggestions but still no difference...