Author Topic: Buffalo Software cannot find Linkstation  (Read 11170 times)

Just_Me

• Calf
Buffalo Software cannot find Linkstation
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »

Hello,

I am having issues with Vista connecting to my linkstation.   I read that I need to try to update the firmware.  I installed the firmware software, and I cannot find the linkstation.  I tried to access it via NASNavigator2, and It cannot find any drives. 

I have the drive available in my networks on XP, and I can access the drive using the IP address.

Linkstation is:

LS-Q4.0TL/R5

Firmware:

SO, my 2 issues are these:

1.  I cannot access the NAS Drive in Vista.  I see the drive in Networks, but I get an error that says, Drive is not accessible, you might no have permission to access this drive...

2.  None of the Buffalo software can find my NAS drive.  This happens on both XP and Vista.  As stated above, I can get to the drive via network, and web.

I need to upgrade the Firmware, and get my Vista machine working with the drive.

Any ideas??

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo Software cannot find Linkstation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »

"1.  I cannot access the NAS Drive in Vista.  I see the drive in Networks, but I get an error that says, Drive is not accessible, you might no have permission to access this drive..."

Try accessing the drive via "\\IP" in the run command.  Also do you have access restrictions set?

"2.  None of the Buffalo software can find my NAS drive.  This happens on both XP and Vista.  As stated above, I can get to the drive via network, and web."

If you are not getting error lights, and it's on your local network then the only thing preventing the NASNAVI from finding it is security software.

"I need to upgrade the Firmware, and get my Vista machine working with the drive."

Out of curiosity, what made you think this?

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »

Try accessing the drive via "\\IP" in the run command. Also do you have access restrictions set?

I get the same error. "\\LSQ-70A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission". No, I do not have any access restrictions set on the device.

If you are not getting error lights, and it's on your local network then the only thing preventing the NASNAVI from finding it is security software. "I need to upgrade the Firmware, and get my Vista machine working with the drive." Out of curiosity, what made you think this?

The only thing running is MS firewall, and I have the Buffalo software listed as an exception. The reason why I believe that the firmware needs to be updated, is a thread I found on the web that states that there is an issue with large frame compatibility on Vista. (I have the default frame size set). This forum thread stated that this issue was fixed in the latest firmware. I find it very strange that the software on both XP and Vista cannot find the device. This would lead me to believe that it is a Microsoft induced issue. I have read that access issues are from MS live, but I am not convinced of that.

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »

Anyone????

I have disabled all firewalls.  This is so strange.   Why would I be able to connect  to the drive via XP, but buffalo software cant find it.

Is there a way (ini file or something).  To tell the software what IP to look for?

I really need help.  I cannot back up my vista machine because I cannot  connect to the drive because of the error.  And I cannot update the firmware, because the software cannot see the drive.

how nice???

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »

"I get the same error. \\LSQ-70A is not accessible"

It gives you this error when you use the IP address?  Make sure that you are not doing it by name.

"I have disabled all firewalls.  This is so strange.   Why would I be able to connect  to the drive via XP, but buffalo software cant find it."

I already explained that on both vista and XP (has been tested many times) the only thing that will prevent the NASNAVI from finding the unit is errors and/or firewalls.  Are you not running any anti virus software?

"I find it very strange that the software on both XP and Vista cannot find the device. This would lead me to believe that it is a Microsoft induced issue. I have read that access issues are from MS live, but I am not convinced of that"

Are you able to get online?  Are you getting a valid IP address from your router?  If so, then there should be no reason that you cannot access the drive.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:39:11 AM »

Even with firewall it usually works. You should try a restart of the LinkStation first. If that does not help try the reset procedure.I guess there is an IP problem. Could happen if you restarted the router and you use DHCP. The LS falls on a 169.254.x.x

If that is not the solution please post the IP of your PC and the IP of the LinkStation and the Gateway.

Greetz

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »

"Even with firewall it usually works."

With all due respect, this is not the case.  I have found that firewalls are a common reason the software won't find it (MacAfee, sonic off the top of my head).

"If that is not the solution please post the IP of your PC and the IP of the LinkStation and the Gateway."

That would explain why he couldn't connect to it, but even if the IP subnets aren't the same it should still show up in the NASNAVI.

The only other possibilities besides the ones I mentioned would be a bad cable/ethernet port, but if he sees the drive in "network" then this is obviously not the case.  I guess a reboot certainly wouldn't hurt.

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

OK, This is not helping.

Lets focus on just one issue.

In Vista I get this error while trying under "Network" to connect to the Linkstation:

I get the same error. \\LSQ-70A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

I have NO firewall running, and NO AV running.

I CAN connect to the device using the IP address.  I Cannot access the shared drive.  (I can from XP, so the device is NOT the issue, unless it is not compatible with vista.

ANY IDEAS on why I cannot connect by mapping a drive or with Network Connections?

Thanks!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »

You're trying to go to "Network" (which is going by the discovered device name) when PCPiranha has told you to try accessing by IP address.  In order to do this you must go to "Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run..." (I'm assuming you're running Vista or Win7) and enter \\[IP_Address_of_NAS] then click OK.  The "Network" option in Windows you're using finds the device by name but cannot resolve it's IP (this is an OS problem) therefore by accessing it by IP you have worked around that issue.  When the window opens showing the contents of the NAS (share, info, etc.) after entering the IP you can map by right-clicking on the share folder you want to map.  We understand you can't access \\LSQ-70A (the device name) when going into "Network" because "Network" doesn't resolve devices by IP address.

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

OK,

I appologize that in my last respone, I did not want to type the error again, so I cut and pasted the error which I typed in manually.

" In order to do this you must go to "Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run..." (I'm assuming you're running Vista or Win7) and enter \\[IP_Address_of_NAS] then click OK. "

I did this already..

I get the same error it just uses the IP address instead of the device name.

Here is the situation...

I can ping by IP and by Name

I can connect to the linkstation by using a browser and typing in.  http://192.168.1.69/cgi-bin/top.cgi

WHAT I CANNOT DO.  Is back up my Vista computer. 

When I use any backup software, it uses the Network menu to select a destination.

I cannot map this device as a network drive.

I can see the device in my network locations, but I cannot connect to it.

I hope this helps you to understand what issues I am having.

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »

Anyone??

Just_Me

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »

After Days and Days of troublshooting this.  I found the issue.

For anyone else that has this type of issue.

Set the LAN Manager Authenticaiton level to Send LM and NTLM responses.

In the control panel

Administrative Tools -> Local  Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options --- in the right panel find "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" double click it and in the pull down I selected "

Send LM & NTLM responses"

I hope this helps someone else with this issue.  I think it happens in Windows 7 also....