Author Topic: xfs format  (Read 6360 times)

gatville

• Calf
xfs format
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

Hi,

I have a Linkstation NAS to which I have attached a usb drive for back-up.  I have read through all the messages on these forums so I know that I need to format the usb drive to xfs.  My problem is that web access through NAS Navigator only gives me; Home, User Management or Logout, and not the options that I need to do the format.

I've spent many a happy hour trying to sort this out and can go no further.  Can anyone help me with this?

George

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: xfs format
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »

login with in admin and password

gatville

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

Do you mean login to NAS Navigator?  I am logged in, and I still don't have any options to format.  I can see the usb drive, I just cannot do anything with it.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »

What he means is did you log in as the admin or as a user? If you signed in as a user then you need to sign in as the admin. One other thing that I had an issue with even when signed in as admin is that my hard drive was formated to exfat and the LS would not be able to change things on it, so I had to use another program to format it to NTFS first then the LS was able to format it.

gatville

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »

Thanks, that's helpful.  But I only  have one user name and password and it only gets me a very short menu of options.  How can I change that?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »

Is that username "admin"? If not then you need to contact who ever the admin is? There is always an admin user, there is no way to delete it or change it. Did you set this up? If so at one time or another you would have had to sign in as "admin".

gatville

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »

It was me that set it up, a while ago, and as far as I know there is only one user name and password.  This is my home network so if there is an administrator - it's me.  Do you mean admin for the pc or Buffalo?  Thanks for your help with this.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »

admin on the buffalo nas. For formatting the usb it doesnt matter how you are signed on to your pc. You need to go to your ip address of the buffalo on a web browser and then sign in using "admin" and what ever password  you have set for it.

gatville

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »

Unhappy09, you're a star!  I must have done this once already,  many moons ago, to set it up.  This time I'll make a note of it.  Many thanks for your help.

George