Author Topic: jpg converted to small file size when viewed with the PS3  (Read 6886 times)

julezey

• Calf
jpg converted to small file size when viewed with the PS3
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »

I have the linkstation live LS-CH500L.  I use the media server to provide my jpg files to my PS3.  I find that when they are viewed the high resolution pictures are downsized to a pretty awful resolution on the PS3.  I can view the files stored on the Linkstation on my PC with no modification and I have no idea if the PS3 is doing the converting or if it is the server software on the Linkstation.  I have the latest software updates on all equipment. 

Can anyone help me to view jpg files in their correct resolution?

Thanks,

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: jpg converted to small file size when viewed with the PS3
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »

Well, the Linkstation's media server shouldn't change the files at all, just send them out. Have you tried different image formats?

Has anyone else seen this issue before?

julezey

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:05:14 AM »

Thanks for your response.

In that case it seems like a problem with the way the PS3 works.  It must be changing the files after they are sent to the PS3.  It is true the files on the Linkstation are not changed and remain the high res files. 

I have tried other formats to view on the PS3 such as various varieties of tiff, jpg and bmp but the only files which I could get the PS3 to display are jpgs and they are downsized massively.  Avi files are also unreadable, but that is another problem.  Strange that I haven't found anyone reporting this problem after searching PS3 forums either.

casper

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:09:53 AM »

I'm using other clients accessing the media server and images gets transcoded there as well. This is related to the LS.

mmuggeri

• Calf
LS-CHL media Server Large Photo Probelms
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:55:31 AM »

I recently purchased a 1TB Link station LS-CHL product in order to stream my photo's to a PS3.

It works fine with small photos but pictures above a certain resolution eg from my Nikon D90 are displayed highly pixelated (or not at all).

I have through reading forums determined it is a known bug with 4.4.x versions of the Twony Media server used in the LS-CHL and the problem is resolved in Version 5 of Twonky.

Is there a fix available from Buffalo  to this problem the product for me is almost useless without it !

If its comming in a future code update please can you give an indication of the scehdule ?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
Re: LS-CHL media Server Large Photo Probelms
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »

Did you ever find a solution for this?

casper

• Calf
High-resolution images gets decompressed with media server
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »

When accessing JPEG images on my LS-CHL 37 from a PS3 using Media Server all images seems to get decompressed from high-resolution to just crap pictures. Samething happens when accessing it from other media clients.

Why is that, can I do anything about it?

/Casper

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: High-resolution images gets decompressed with media server
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »

I merged a few threads into this one, since you're all having similar issues.

Everyone, please let me know what clients you see this behavior on. I know it happens on the PS3, but I need to know more about the other clients affected. I'm doing some testing now, but I only have a few clients.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

There is one option in the Twonky config page that may help. Find out the IP address of the Linkstation, and then try this.

1. Go to the Twonky configuration page: 

http://<ip_of_linkstation>:9050/

Example:

http://192.168.11.150:9050/

2. Click on TwonkyMedia Settings, then on the left under Advanced Setup, click on Miscellaneous.

3. Check the box for Disable Photo Rescaling.

4. Click Save Changes at the top, then after it's done saving, Restart Server.

PLEASE someone try this and let me know how it works out. If this is the solution, I'll pass the info on to our devs so we can set that option to be checked by default in future firmware versions.

Also, it appears that Twonky might have issues with photos 12 megapixels and up, so try the above procedure first, if that doesn't help, scale the photos down about halfway in resolution, and see what happens.

casper

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
   Thank you Colin. I can now view high resolution images on my PS3. Regards, Casper

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »

Beautiful. I'm glad I was able to help resolve the issue. Sorry that took so long.