Author Topic: USB Drive not recognised on LinkStation  (Read 5930 times)

Thommo9933

• Calf
USB Drive not recognised on LinkStation
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

LinkStation:  LS-W2.0TGL/R1   running Firmware 3.10

USB Drive:  Iomega Prestige 1.5TB drive

I cannot get the Linkstation to recognise this USB drive at all.  It does not show up in any of the management pages, including the format page (so I cannot even reformat it).  I have tried powering down both devices, as described in the FAQ.  I have tried doing a factory reset.  Nothing works.  

I can get the Linkstation to recognise other USB drives, of a much smaller size.  

I'm wondering if there is a limit on the size of a USB drive the Linkstation will recognise?

Thommo9933

• Calf
Re: USB Drive not recognised on LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »

I should add that the USB drive does work on my PC

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »

As far as I know there is no limit to the size of the USB drive. I have a 2tb drive and it works fine. What format is the drive in? It needs to be xfs for the LS to work with it.

Thommo9933

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:21 PM »

Shouldn't the Linkstation recognise the existance of the drive no matter what format it is in?  Otherwise how am I supposed to format it?

I tried formatting it as FAT32, NTFS and Ext3, but the Linkstation won't recognise it.  I haven't tried XFS, since I haven't found a way to format it in that system yet.

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »

The Buffalo NAS is only able to read NTFS. If users need to write to the USB drive(s), they will have to be formatted by the Buffalo NAS.

How to format:

Open Linksattion Web admin.

In the menu "Disk Management" you can see "Disk Format"

Thommo9933

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

As mentioned before, I've tried pre-formatting the drive as NTFS, along with other format (including, now, XFS).  None work.  The linkstation refuses to see the drive at all, so it isn't even able to format it.

The drive is visible on PCs, so I know the drive isn't faulty.  The Linkstation can see other USB drives, so I know the USB part of the Linkstation isn't completely faulty.

I'm guessing there is just some incompatibility between this particular drive and the linkstation.

Thommo9933

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

Just in case anyone else has this problem, I've received an email from Buffalo stating that this particular model cannot see USB drives larger than 1TB. 

Shame it doesn't mention that anywhere that I can see!