Author Topic: Terastation Pro 2 install under win xp ?  (Read 7650 times)

wolfman56

• Calf
Terastation Pro 2 install under win xp ?
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »

Hello forum members,

My dilemma may be simple (which I hope it is...), which is what steps are needed to setup the terastation hooked up to a hub, managed by (3) windows xp pc's. I am looking for guidance and/or recommendations, here's my setup:

- 3 Windows XP SP 3 connected (hardwired) to a TP-LINK TL-WR642G wireless router
- terastation pro 2 model TS-2 OTGL/R5 (housing 4x500Gb SATA hdd's) also connected to the TP-LINK

TS displays the following in rotation:
- IP address from the router (1st line:TS-TGL-EM, 2nd line: 192.168.1.103).
- Link Speed displays 1000Mbps
- HD Used 1_2_3_4_
- date (which needs to be set)
- firmware unknown since I cannot access the unit
Previously I was using a NAS200 2 SATA bay NAS, which I sold since I needed storage expansion room and the TS looked like a good replacement. Purchased the used unit described above and now I am trying to get it recognized by the 3 pc's.

TS was purchased off Ebay and cd's that came with unit are somewhat sketchy as having usable software on them.

In summary, I still am unable to get the unit recognized by any of my 3 pc's, and am looking for any lead as to which software or steps are required to get the unit up and going.

I thank everyone that is able to help me out on this issue.

Best regards to all,
Serge a.k.a. Wolfman56

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation Pro 2 install under win xp ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:28 AM »

It looks like the unit is in EM mode.  Try flashing the latest firmware.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »

Thanks for the lead PCPiranha,

I have searched for the latest which I found on the www.buffalotech.com site, I have tried to run the update script which opens up the main window but no information from the TS is displayed, all fields are empty.

Ping works since I can see the TS from my desktop, but operations are limited to that for the moment.

The firmware version downloaded is:

Firmwares Type File Post Date Version OS Support Notes
ZIP icondownload
47.76 MB
2008-08-121.01-116

Firmware??

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

Additionnal info; after installing the TeraStation Client Utility, I ran it and here's the result:

TAB:                   TS-TGL-EM

HostName:      TS-TGL-EM

Workgroup:      <EMPTY>

IP adress:         192.168.1.103

Subnet Mask:   255.255.255.0

Firmware:          ------------ (blank)

Refreshing the list changes nothing.

Image stored here:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/wolfman56/TeraStation%20Pro%202%20troubleshooting/TSclientutility.jpg

Kameran

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »

download the nas navi from our download site.  Then turn off all firewall and antivirus programs.  Then run nas navi,

if it does find it: Take the IP address and verify there is fw on it 1.33 it should be.

If it finds it and no firmware: - - firmware means it lost it, you must download it from the d/l site and unzip and run the tsupdater after extracting it.

If it does not find it:  THen try connect the device to any or all of the 3 machines you have. cat5e or cat6 is recommended and see if nas navi sees it or you can put on the firmware also.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »

Hello Kameran,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I ran all of them as described, and to no success, here are the results:

1- download the nas navi from our download site.  Then turn off all firewall and antivirus programs.  Then run nas navi,

ANS: turned AV and firewall off, tried both connection methods; a) from the network hub (detects 192.168.11.150 and is unchangable) and b) directly from the desktop (detects 192.168.1.103 and is unchangable), from either setup, navigator did run, sees the TS but am unable to change IP, get it to recognize HDD's. Link to Navigator status window:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/wolfman56/NAs_navigator_status.jpg

2- if it does find it: Take the IP address and verify there is fw on it 1.33 it should be.

ANS: Navigator finds TS but as in item #1, I am unable to introduce any changes what so ever.

3- If it finds it and no firmware: - - firmware means it lost it, you must download it from the d/l site and unzip and run the tsupdater after extracting it.

ANS: ran TSupdater and still unable to locate the TS and upload any firmware, regardless of level, see attachecdlink with status message:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/wolfman56/terastationisnotconnected.jpg

4- If it does not find it:  THen try connect the device to any or all of the 3 machines you have. cat5e or cat6 is recommended and see if nas navi sees it or you can put on the firmware also.

ANS: same results as above, connected to desktop directly, only change noticed was the assigned IP address, which was 192.168.11.150 (192.168.1.103 when connected to network hub). Address cannot be changed manually, CAT5 cabling is used and all other guidelines and recommendations have been applied as suggested.

I am somewhat at a loss as to trying to figuring out how to tackle this, I do not consider myself a noob in this area having worked over 28 years in IT, I did not expect something like this to be so d... complicated, I assumed that aside from having the proper firmware update performed, would have been almost "plug&play"...I guess not! If there's something I'm doing wrong, then I'll gladly slap myself silly but I do not believe this is the case :smileyhappy: ...

Yous assistance is sincerely and gladly appreciated and will certainly help me pinpoint if there's something I'm missing, or in the worst case scenario, this unit has a real problem...

Opened to further suggestions and tips ...

Best to all in the new year and will monitor for additional hints on your behalf...

Cheers,

Serge

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »

UPDATE: Some (bad) news:

I was able to get the firmware update going, which surprisingly enough took over 40 hours to run, then on the next reboot the display displayed up until the 80% load levev, then the unit started beeping constantly and displayed the following on the LCD panel:

SYSTEM Error E04
Can't load Kernel

Now the unit will no longer boot, even with the reset switch during bootup.

Any assistance to help me out is very welcome. Next step is the garbage dump!!!!!

Rgds,
Serge

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Since you just updated the firmware I am assuming that you have a bad HDD (the firmware is mostly contained on the drives themselves).  What you should do is shut down the unit and remove drive 1 and turn it back on.  If it boots up without and errors then drive 1 needs to be replaced, if not then shut it down, replace drive 1 and remove drive to to see if it will boot up without errors.  If it doesthen drive 2 needs to be replaced.  Keep repeating the process until you find the bad HDD that needs to be replaced.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:44:42 AM »

Hi PCPiranha,

The HDD swap dance I had already done, as seen in other posts, tried all variations;

removed #1, then 2, then 3 and finally 4. also tried combos such as 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and so on......no change. Even tried with no HDD's in the TS, no dice...same error persists.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 05:48:12 AM »

Addendum: all HDD's are new and were tested (formatted) in another desktop, to ensure that they were indeed 100% functional. I know that any update to the TS will write to the HDD's but the point I want to emphasize on, is that these 4 drives were operational prior to the firmware upgrade attempt.

Rgds,

Serge

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »

What format were the HDD's  Formmated to?  They can only be formmatted to XFS.  Im pulling for anything here so bear with me.  Anything other than XFS and it will not be able to read the HDDs.  We can trouble shoot this issue better over the phone.  If you can please contact your regional support.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:23 AM »

Hello JoshC,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this.

In answer to your question, drives were initially formatted under Win Xp (NTFS), but the firmware exercice which I was finally able to get going, spent some major amount of time working the 4 drives in the TS from the status indicator for the HDD's on the front panel of the unit. I am assuming that the firmware upgrade attempt was formatting the drives under the format it required.

Since the unit seems unaccessible in its present state (constantly beeping and SYSTEM Error E04 status), how would I go about re-formatting the drives with the required format ?

With best regards,

Serge

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »

This unit will not work with NTFS!  This unit has an XFS file system (linux).  You will need to format them drives to XFS and try the TFTP boot and after that the force firmware update.

wolfman56

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »

Well folks, as I somewhat suspected from day 1, this unit has now been officially flagged as DOA and will be returned to the seller.

Thankls to all who contributed in helping me get this puppy working, your advice and suggestions would have proved functional on a working TS.

Best regards to all,

Serge

THREAD CLOSED